Monday, December 15, 2008

Welcome To Our Cottage Christmas!

I would first of all like to thank Heather at Pretty Petals blog for hosting this Christmas blog party!! There are many ladies out there in blog land who are participating so click here to find all of the Christmas open houses!! 12/17: Addendum:...AND check out Kimba's open house party that started on December 16th!! I just found out about it today (12/17) but stop by to see allll of the wonderful holiday homes she has linked!! Amazing fun and so many great ideas! Thank you Kimba and Heather!!

Welcome to our little home! Christmas is our favorite time of year and we love decorating and making things look festive and cozy. Grab your favorite hot drink, relax, kick up your feet and come on in for a stroll.
This is our living room with our big Christmas tree that is decorated with mostly white, silver and gold touches. Notice no packages? Ahem...that is because Santa is on his way!
Our entryway table is decorated with a woodland theme this year. I like to change it up each year and decided that a little feather tree would be fun to do up with old ornaments - and some that look old.

A metal deer hangs over our entry way mirror and I just tucked in some pine boughs with pinecones on each side of him.
I put the base of the feather tree in an old white matte vase and added some rocks to weigh it down and then topped it off with pinecones and acorns - oh, and some little plastic deer, too.
My favorite old ornaments are the little bells and birds. You can find them at flea markets or estate sales for next to nothing.
Every woodland tree MUST have a squirrel!!
Hey Rudolph, shouldn't you be gearing up for the big delivery?
An old silver tray makes a good base for displaying these little squirrel friends. Just add some faux snow (from JoAnn's) and a few pine cones and it looks like they are right at home.
I like to have displays at different heights so I just used some old books that are Christmas colors.
I found this old silver challis with holly and berries this year and put a little bottle brush Christmas tree inside.
One of my favorite collections are these little vintage gnomes. My mother had some like these when I was a child and they remind me of the time I spent playing with hers.....
....and little did I KNOW that she had given hers to my little brother.!! But...but...those ARE my favorites!!! How could she?! (I am laughing really)....so I went out and found my own, thank you very much!
I display them in a cabin style shelf that has fun plaid fabric.

We have a "family" tree that is loaded with the boys' ornaments that we have collected for them over the years. Some of you asked if I use the yo yo wreaths that I made for our first Christmas tree....and there they are!

I collect Santas and have a few of my favorite pieces out this year.
This is an antique German flask that is one of my very favorite pieces of all. My mother gave it to me years ago - and yea, it was empty. hiccup!
More of these jolly gnomes that always make me smile!

This woodland like Santa is perched on a glass pedestal. I added some sea salt for snow and my favorite little pinecones that look like flowers.

I made this counted cross stitch piece years ago and enjoy displaying it every year.
This tall Santa was a gift from my father and his girlfriend. They found this jolly Santa on a trip to Oregon many years back. I love his boiled wool coat!!

Now come along into our den. Here you will find most of our vintage Christmas goodies

and plenty of smiling little faces that could cheer anyone up. If my day needs a little giggle in it I go in and visit my knee hugger guys. So that this friendly group had a place to rest their legs, I used a clay flower pot to put the Christmas tree in. Just weigh it down with some big rocks from the yard and voila - a sturdy tree vessel!! Just make sure there aren't any slugs under your rocks before you bring the rocks inside! ;) ...ewww!


For more Christmas color and a little texture for the display I used a vintage linen tablecloth that has wonderful cross stitch red roses on it.
The tree has some more little elves and some other vintage ornies as well.
I picked this cutie patootie up at my friend Debbies's shop, Sweet Pea, in San Juan Bautista.
L-O-V-E Christmas time!!
I know I have shared these pics already, but here is the whole room.



Little metal scotties await a present be placed under their tree...

...and our white hall tree with some Christmas touches.

I Y gnomes!

The little girl with the snowball is an old chalkware piece. She is just precious!

Around the corner from the hall tree is our half bath. I decorated my favorite white shelf with glitter house and trees. A little silver urn holds a bottle brush tree.

As you will see, there is another silver tray with more faux snow. One just cannot have enough silver trays for displaying things on!

Though I have no clue who these adorable children are I still have them on my shelf all year long. Their coats and hats are too cute!



A favorite crewel embroidered snowy cottage picture sits on a side table. Oh no, a bear! Stay inside everyone!


Our house is very small and this is our main room that we spend all of our time in. My favorite time of day is in the evening when we have all of our lights on and are together watching a good movie - or CSI - or Navy NCIS - or The Mentalist.....or maybe catching a few winks under a cozy warm blanket.

These glitter santas line the mantel over our fireplace. The glitter twinkles nicely with the little lights that are on the garland.

One of my traditions is to purchase a santa each year. I found this old metal Belsnickle this year at a wonderful antique sale.


Many years ago my friend Marsha made this Merry Christmas sign and gave it to me for my Christmas present. Each year I display it somewhere in our home.




Thank you for stopping by!

From our house to yours, Merry Christmas!!!!

Blessings to all!!!

69 comments:

LW said...

Your home looks beautiful and would be a wonderful place to
Spend the Holidays…

Merry Christmas!

Louise

Betty said...

I knew your house would be wonderful! It looks much bigger than mine! Have a happy, happy Christmas and thank you for the fun tour!!

Decor To Adore said...

I love the gnomes! I have a few too. I just adore all your decorations. They are lovely.

I will have a giveaway on my Friday post.

the wild raspberry said...

Great decorations...love your birdcage! Merry Christmas.

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Oh So sweet, Becky...I love everything about your home!

Lori said...

thanks for sharing your pretty little Christmas!!! your decorations look wonderful...i especially love your vintage ornaments and your glittered houses...very pretty indeed!!!

Unknown said...

SOOOOOO much Sweet Cottage Christmasness! I love all of your rooms. I am shocked that your home is small?????? I was thinking that it was big! Your photos always make it seem very roomy.
Loves it!!!!

~Liz

P.S. You need to check out the new Barny cam at the White House! Sir Duhgall might be interested : )

Patina said...

WOW! Can I say "WOW" again!!! Your house is amazing. You do such a great job in decorating. I love everything, just everything!
Did I say how amazing it looks!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - So beautiful! I love all of your little cottages and gnomes - I call them "pinecone people" - they're some of my favorites too. Absolutely beautiful Becky - thank you for all the lovely photos. -amy

Adrienne said...

Good morning -
Your home is so inviting and cozy. I love all of the Christmas touches throughout your house. You did a great job displaying such fun things. Thanks for giving us a tour.
~Adrienne~

Bella Della said...

You home is so beautiful and so full of Christmas magic. I can't begin to pick my favorite thing. Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing your amazing home.

Maison Douce said...

Your home is beautiful, and your decorative touches are lovely!! But I have to say my favorite is your collection of Santas!!! Love it!
Isabel

Miss Jean said...

Aren't you the one who told me you don't decorate much for Christmas? It's all so beautiful. See you tomorrow for lunch and you might want to take an inventory after I leave! Tee Hee!

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, it's all so beautiful and festive! I especially love the vintage Santas!

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas decorations are simply lovely, thank you so much for sharing your home with us. All your Scotty pieces are so cool. I wish I could find more Cardigan Welsh Corgi pieces. :( It's because of Jiggs our 7 month blue merle Cardigan that we didn't put up a large tree this year, just an itty bitty one up high on a kitchen counter. I'll stop by again to enjoy your beautiful tree.

Jessi Nagy said...

hey there sweets,
i LOVE all you fabulous decorations.

happy holidays!!

oxoxox,
Jessi

Brenda said...

Hi Becky thanks for stopping by.Your house is beutiful as always.You home always looks like a picture right out of a magazine.I am sure it is a inspiration to others just like it is to me.
Best Christmas Wishes
Brenda:)
xo

The Good Life in Virginia said...

beautiful decorating...love all the little special touches you have done in it...perfection ^..^

Sugar Bear said...

Wow! Your home is full of fabulousness! The metal deer head and that cute little log cabin are my favs.
Karla

Kim said...

Becky, what a breathtaking tour! Love the way you've done your house up for the holidays! Gorgeous!

becky up the hill said...

Your house just looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a cozy abode you have! Santa looks like he fits right in! Gorgeous pix!
xxoxo
Dollybelle

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Bravo! I throughly enjoyed my visit!!! Your home is so inviting, warm and gorgeous! I just loved strolling around and looking at everything!

Tracey said...

Everything looks so wonderful! I especially love the den :)
Tracey

Anonymous said...

i love how you decorate! there is so much to look at... love it!

Sandy said...

I love your decor, Christmas and otherwise! The feathers trees captured my fancy, I'd love to have a vintage one! Merry Christmas!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I wanted to say the deers and knomes were my favorites..until I saw the trees....and the Santas.....and everything else! What magical decorations!

Sue said...

Your house is lovely....I love that big comfy leather chair in your L.R. the house doesn't look small at all...and your collection of santas are wonderful....

English Cottage in Georgia said...

I LOVE your Christmas decor - especially the old, vintage ornies and garland! Your house is beautiful. Thanks for sharing :-)

Nan said...

This is just wonderful I had so much fun visiting your home all decorated for Christmas. I also picked up some good ideas to use for some items I had tucked away. Now they are out thanks to you.

Anonymous said...

You have such a lovely home. all of your decorations are just lovely. I hope you and your family have a very blessed and happy christmas.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I really enjoyed seeing all of your Holiday Collections.....

Leigh Ann said...

What wonderful Christmas decor! Your home is so warm and inviting, thank you for sharing.
Christmas Blessings~
Leigh Ann

Fete et Fleur said...

I love all the sweet Christmas touches throughout your cottage.

Merry Christmas!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tour of your beautiful home.

I've often thought of putting some vintage toys under the tree, instead of presents, since I always seem to get them wrapped at the last minute.

I still have my daughter's stuffed animals packed. Those would be sweet under the tree and would give us a chance to see them once a year.

I watch the same shows!

~elaine~

Anonymous said...

Oh Becky, I *love* it all. You are an inspiration. I would love to visit your home. Maybe, one day....

hugs and Christmas wishes to you and all your family,

Kate

Robin said...

Becky,
Of all the homes I've "visited" yours is one of my favorites! It is so homey and cozy! My favs are:
The tree in the den with all the elves and DEER! The cabinet in the bathroom...so cute! and all the bottle brush trees!
Merry Christmas Becky!

Rochelle said...

Your home looks so warm and inviting.....all decked out in Christmas frills! And you commented on my knee guys.....look at your collection - it puts mine to shame! I just love all your special vignettes around your home...such clever scenes!
Rochelle

Bethany said...

What a wonderful house tour!! Love all of your decor esp. the vintage touches, silver trays and little dear and squirrel!!
Have a wonderful Christmas :)

Anonymous said...

Your tree is absolutely beautiful and I don't think you need worry about Santa showing up! :-)
Thanks for sharing your home.
Merry Christmas

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

Your lovely home always makes me smile, and especially so at Christmas!!
I am loving all the vintage decor; it just is so touching to me....
:)
Merry Christmas!
~Becca~

Boxwood Cottage said...

Oh my Christmas in you cottage is really wonderful! I especially love your collection of glitter Santas! So nice to meet you at the party Becky! Happy Holidays!
Warmest wishes from Boxwood cottages pretty little Christmas sends you Carola

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

WOW!!
I just love Christmas!

Eileen said...

I don't think anyone is going to be able to top yours.

Anonymous said...

A fabulous collection you have there. Your house is beautiful! Thanks for showing...Pam

Pink Slippers said...

Oh right out of a magazine. And you rcamera takes such pretty, dreamy pictures. The Santa's beards look like snow.

Jean said...

What a great Christmas tour! I feel right at home with all your collections. The Santa flask is one of my favorites of yours. I have never seen anything like that before. Everything is so cozy and warm and welcoming. Have a joyful evening.
Jean in Virginia

Unknown said...

You have done an amazing job! So pretty!

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Love your Christmas tour. Thanks for posting so many wonderful pictures. I love the woodland theme!
Lorri

Susie Q said...

Oh Becky...it all just glows. Your home should definitely be featired in a magazine. Look at the little details, the sweet touches, the love you put into each vignette, each tree, each table arrangement.

The gnomes remind me of my childhood as Mom had many of them...sad to say we have no idea where they escaped to!

Your home is gorgeous. I love each corner, each wall, each bit and bob.

Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Becky - your Cottage Christmas is just beautiful! I can't decide which picture I like best.
Love you.
Debbie

cherished*vintage said...

Merry Christmas Becky! Your home is absolutely gorgeous. I love all the special touches everywhere. You have it decorated beautifully and have the best collections!
-Karoline

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Wow--what an absolutely wonderful job you have done decorating your home for Christmas! It's so cozy and warm and full of the most fantastic goodies! Love the Santas and the knee-huggers, and all the little metal trays full of cute tableaus. Nicely done!

Oh, and I decided I liked your suggestion for my little deer's name--she is Gracie and her little bird friend is named Rose Robin (as suggested by Calamity Kim) Thanks for the suggestion, it suits her so well!

Have a Blessed and Beautiful Christmas!

Smiles, Karen

Lallee said...

I pretended I was visiting your cottage in person and we were having such fun catching up. Everything looks absolutely beautiful and enchanting, Becky. Your collections are amazing and so beautifully displayed.

Missing you~big hugs to you and Doogs!
Lallee

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Becky,all I can say is WOW........I love everything,and as always you did a wonderful job displaying it all!Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas...

Blessings,Shelley

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh My! Your home is decorated so beautifully for Christmas! Sweet detailed touches throughout your warm and cozy home! LOVE your Santa collection!

Merry Christmas!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Kathleen Grace said...

Oh my goodness Becky! I think I have a lot of decorations and then I start looking around blogland and I just can't fathom where you store all these beautiful things! It is a never ending feast for the eyes, and I love every display you make. Wish you could come here and work some of your magic:>)

Kristen said...

Beautiful!! My husband collects Santas and he would love the ones that are displayed in your home! Very unique!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your decor. It looks so fresh and pretty.

Merry Christmas!

Celestial Charms said...

Your collection of Christmas decorations are splended...especially your vintage items. It must have taken many years to amass all of it. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

WOW~~~ Your home is so beautiful! Will you be seeing your son this Christmas?
God Bless,
Ginger

cherry said...

I just love it all......so much detail. Merry Christmas Becky! Cherry

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

OMG what an amazing tour!! I love it all and enjoyed it soooo much. I hope you and yours have a very merry Christmas!!
Hugs~Kelly

Anonymous said...

Just amazing! I loved every litlle nook and cranny! Wish I had your talent....and some of your collections.

Merry Christmas! Debbi

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!
What creative and talented friends
you have. Loved all of them.
Makes me want to visit their lovely
homes and have a spot of tea.
Thank you for sharing your life
and friends with me.
Linda

Rue said...

Good morning Becky :)

I have been drinking my coffee and enjoying myself while taking your Christmas tour. Your cottage is filled with absolute magic and every corner is wonderful. I especially love your collection of Santa's, the woodland tree and that darling cabinet filled with your restaurant china. Thank you for inviting us into your home :)

Oh and we watch CSI too!

Off to see more.....

xo,
rue

Vee said...

It all looks so enchanting! I have much enjoyed my time wandering through your charming home. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Debra Howard said...

Your home is so pretty. I love all the pictures you shared, & you like the tv shows I do. I love that your sense of humor peeks thru in your decorating. It bubbles up like laughter. I like it.
Debbie

The Old Painted Cottage said...

Dear Becky, I've not visited for far too long. And boy did I have a bit of catching up to do! Your home is absolutely precious with every single sweet detail. Love it all.

Happiest of holidays to you my friend.

oxox
Jennifer