Sunday, August 12, 2007

Weekend Tummy Warmers....







I love to make Frittatas because you can use all kinds of things in them and it is a good way to get rid of leftovers.

This Frittata recipe I made this morning, along with some hot, flaky homemade biscuits. My friend and neighbor, Sharri, went to San Luis Obispo for a week and brought me back some delicious Apple Butter. We had this with our biscuits..yummy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note: I used a 10 inch skillet that can go from the stove top to the range. It is all metal. I don't recommend using any skillet, or pan, that has Teflon or plastic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frittata:

6 eggs - break over a small bowl and whisk them
Hamburger - 1/4 pound (112 grams)
3 small zuchinni - cut into bite sized cubes
1/2 of a small yellow onion - chopped
2 Tblsp. chopped olives
2 Tblsp. Olive Oil
1 Tblsp. butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Pasta or Italian Seasoning

In a seperate skillet, brown the hamburger and drain.

Turn your oven on to BROIL at 375 degrees.

Over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter to the pan. Saute the zuchinni and onion until tender. Stir in the olives, salt, pepper, hamburger and Pasta seasoning.

Pour the eggs over the top of the ingredients. Continue to cook over medium heat until you can see that the Frittata is starting to become firm and set in the center. When it is starting to firm up, sprinkle the top with the cheeses.

You will want it still to be runny on the sides when you put it in the oven. Place the pan on a middle shelf and let it cook for 4-5 minutes (until golden brown and set).

Remove from oven, allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with sour cream.

PLEASE remember that the handle to the pan is HOT when you go to cut the Frittata. ~~~~ To remove the baked on egg mixture, add hot water to your skillet and put it over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar, stir. This should easily lift off the mess.

Buttermilk Biscuits:

3 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (I reduced this to 1/2 because they were too salty)
1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut them into 1/4-inch cubes
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Egg wash: 1 large egg beaten with 2 Tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Lightly grease a baking sheet.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
Add the butter to the flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture looks like coarse meal. (I use my hands.) You can use a food processor with a metal blade and pulse for 10-12 times.)

Add 1 1/4 cups of the buttermilk and mix lightly until the dough just begins to stick together, do not overmix. Add up to 4 tablespoons more buttermilk, 1 TBLSP at a time, if the dough is too dry.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and press together lightly just until the dough forms a ball..do not overwork.

Roll or pat to 3/4-inch thick. Use a 2 1/2" biscuit cutter, dipping it into the flour to keep it from sticking to the dough.

Place the biscuits on the sheet and brush with the egg wash.

Bake 12 - 15 minutes, just until golden brown. Serve immediately.

Makes 1 dozen biscuits.







Cook the Frittata over

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy oh boy does that look yummy for one's tummy! :-) Thanks for the recipe too! I'll have to try it!

Have a good week! I'll check in later and maybe see what you are up to! :-)

Melissa

cherry said...

That looks delish Becky! Thanks so much for sharing it with us! cherry

Genevieve said...

Hi Becky, I will have to try your recipes,we make the same dishes but I always like to try new recipes. I laughed at your mean people s--ck next to your award,that is one of my favorite sayings! Have you finished the last HP yet????
"See" you later!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hi Genevieve! No on the HP..but I NEED to!!!!! Have you read it? Yes, mean people do s---! Glad that you like that! This week I am posting some good Gladys favorites...a little humor for the ol' bloggidy blog. Have an awesome week! Becky

Susie said...

Hi Becky,
I just came over from Lallees. What a delightful site you have. Your fritatta looks yummy, and I recognize that Apple Farm label. We've been there many times...
San Luis Obispo is a delightful place to visit. (We're in the SF Bay Area)..
:)

Lallee said...

I would be drooling on my screen right now if I hadn't enjoyed Paneras at lunch too much today. I love Frittatas. Thank you for the recipe. Good thing I'm not your neighbor~I could show up on your doorstep with my coffee in hand tomorrow looking for leftovers.

Cottage said...

I love omelettes but had forgotten all about frittatas, looks like yours turned out fabulous! Can't wait to try the biscuit recipe, too. I am biscuit challenged...lol!
Melissa

Dena said...

Okay my mouth is watering and I am going to need a bag of chips to hold me over in order to finish browsing :) Yummy and thanks for the recipe!!!

Dena