Monday, July 30, 2007

A gift from my sweet friend, DEB!







The story goes like this....

Last year I purchased a wonderful Hoosier with the BEST green washed paint, green glass knobs, white and green enamel top...it was a beauty and I love green..so home it went. I bought the piece from my friend Jennifer, who she and her husband, Skip, own Crow Trading Antiques here in town. Jen put the sold sign on the Hoosier and I picked it up a few weeks later. In the meantime, Deb (who I hadn't met yet) went into the store, saw the Hoosier, and was upset that someone else had bought it. Jen told me the story about this.

After having it in my den-office-sittingroom-should be the formal dining room....it just did not fit in. If I had had space in my kitchen, I would have moved it in there. Remembering the story Jen shared with me about Deb, I called Jen, got Deb's number and Deb came over and bought it. You see, Deb needed a green Hoosier for her garden room.

One day Deb invited me over to see her collections. Oh my goodness! Does she have wonderful things!! Her garden room is simply beautiful with the two Hoosiers she already had in there along with her vast collection of Shawnee, McCoy, and Robinson Ransbottom pottery pieces...all in greens, whites, robin's egg blue and yellow. After seeing her room, I knew that the Hoosier would fit right in.

While walking through her home, I spotted a white hutch that was chalked full of vintage Christmas goodies. Oh boy, howdy do! The hutch is exactly what I was looking for and she told me she would trade it with me towards the purchase of the Hoosier. The hutch had the old wavy glass front cabinets, original white porcelain knobs and storage below. So, we both ended up with beautiful things!

Last week Deb gifted me with this beautiful vintage Vogart Scotty Dog pillow. (She also collects Vintage Vogart Pillow tops). She found the unstitched pillow top and knew that she would finish it and give it to me. What a sweetheart! She did all of the embroidery and added the black edging (she found that at JoAnn's fabrics). Attached to the pillow was a card that she made. It is a picture of the green Hoosier...all decked out in her garden room. See, it was meant to be! That old green Hoosier has brought us together...oh, and with a thank you to Skip and Jennifer. Mr. Doogs likes the pillow as well!

9 comments:

Lallee said...

Becky, I adore that story!!! You know I am crazy, crazy about that Vogart pillow. I look on eBay from time to time. Mr. Doog looks especially charming posing with it. And your white hutch~absolutely perfect. And I spy that darling cottage pillow sitting in your chair...and oodles of other things I love. Hmmm, and maybe Deb would let you do a photo shoot of her garden room for your blog ;-) It sounds wonderful, too.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hi Lallee! Thank you for your sweet words! I am hoping that Deb will let me snap some pics of her home to post. I think she should let me, wink! TTYS, becky

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

What a sweet story!

I would have a hard time chooseing which cabinet I like better!
Love them both!

Hugz, Dolly

cherry said...

Good Afternoon ms. Becky! Awww I love stories like that! Wayyy cool! I LOVE the pillow and your Mr. Doogs......I have wanted a scotty for a long time. We currently have an Airdale Terrier...I grew up with Airdales. Someone told me in passing that they can be hard to potty train..did you find that to be true? Anyways I love both cabinets...beautiful! xoxo, cherry

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hi Dolly and Cherry! Yes, it was a tough decision...but my house isn't big enough for both...and I LOVE white! I passed up a beautiful white cabinet two years ago and kick myself for it still.

About potty training Scotty Dogs..not hard at all. We started with the potty mats and then just took him out every two hours or so. Now he "tells" you when he has to go. Either he'll sit by the door or give you a little hrrmmm! Their scotty talk is so cute! I love Airdales, too! Terriers are so wonderful. xo, Becky

Rosemary said...

Hi becky! Love the story and the pillow! Your friend did a great job on it, and i love the trim!

Anonymous said...

Becky, what a wonderful story! There is no coincidence -- only people waiting to connect. And you, my friend, are a connector. What a beautiful site!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hello my sweet Glinda! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I do hope that all is well for you and I will write to you soon. xoxoxo, Becky

Anonymous said...

A sweet story that make a house a home..You rock Becky!