Monday, October 24, 2011

A Fun Chalk Paint Makeover

P1010100


After hearing and reading for months and months how wonderful Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paint is to use, I went to my friend Lisa’s Store, Unique Boutique, and bought two cans – Duck Egg and Old White. I found this old handmade table at a garage sale and thought it would be pretty freshened up with some Old White. Though it it not necessary to sand the furniture before painting with the Chalk Paint,


P1010085 P1010087 …I thought it would be advantageous to do so on the top. Who-knows-what caused the worn and corroded patina to the wood, so I lightly sanded it before applying the paint. After several coats of paint, the little table, who once was an ugly duckling, turned into a pretty little swan.


P1010107


I added a very light application of the dark stain to the nooks and crannies, tops and sides and then sanded it off in some sections that were too dark. All of the edges were sanded here and there to give it a used look. To finish the piece off, I added a paste wax to give it a little shine and a soft feel to the paint.


P1010102


P1010104 The little drawer was lined with a pretty scrapbooking paper….


P1010105 …with a soft paisley print.


This little section at the base of the table would be perfect to hold rolled up bath towels, rolls of toilet paper, magazines or even cookbooks. A great piece for a kitchen, bath or even a bedroom side table.


P1010101 I took the table to the store, The Antique Warehouse, that I sell at and have it displayed with cookbooks…..


P1010109


P1010110


….and, to the top, added a little Christmas tree with vintage potholders hung on it. (Yes, I managed to take in a little Christmas already…though it still seems too early to me).


P1010111


P1010150 This is another piece that I painted with Old White Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. No before photo to show you, but it was plain wood and kind of ho-hum looking. If this piece doesn’t sell, then I may have to bring it back home for my kitchen.


If you haven’t tried painting with Chalk Paint yet, then give it a try. It is water soluble and doesn’t have a strong paint smell. I even spilled some on my tile floor and it came up really good with water and a rag.


Joining in on the fun with Susan at Between Naps On The Porch with Metamorphosis Monday.

29 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I just did a post about being the last person to try it. I bought some this weekend and I am starting to paint an armoire tomorrow with it. I bought Louis Blue and Old White....

Your two pieces turned out wonderful!

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm in love with this project...but even more in love with the idea of displaying your vintage potholders on the white tree. So charming!

Denise said...

You are just soooooooooo crafty! Tell me what benefits is the Chalk Paint. I have never heard of it... I am finally getting back in my groove and depression is lifting and I getting anxious to make things.. Has taken a while but the Father God knows......... You little table is just too cute and I would buy that bad boy if I lived there........

Happy fall my friend....Don't you just love the colors...... God is an artist I think........ among other things...... :)

Elsie said...

Becky I love your table. You did an excellent job on that. Love your booth too, you gave me "junk fever". I will have to go get me
a junk fix now. Thanks for sharing
your wonderful talent. Yes I will get me some of that Annie Sloan paint. I have worked with the plain chalk paint but this Annie Sloan's is suppose to be much better.

Simply Shelley said...

What a wonderful transformation...and you have a antique mall booth...I didn't know that...maybe you could share some more of that later....it looks so fun. Blessings on your week dear Becky.

Kris said...

What a wonderful makeover, and a perfectly adorable table for almost any space! LOVE it. I am dying to try the AS paints too!

Tonya said...

So pretty! I love chalk paint!! It really is wonderful stuff!! I linked after you at Met Monday, and I did a post about chalk paint, too. :)

Mecky said...

That is so cute! I would run right out and buy that if I were close by!
I will have to find something to use so I can play in that paint, too!

Vee said...

What a lovely transformation! I've been reading all over about this wonderful paint. Now I'm wondering where I might find it in my corner.

Anonymous said...

Oh, now this looks wonderful with the books in it and you used such a nice neutral color too. That paint seems to be the rage these days and I'll probably be the last one to jump on the boat as always. LOL

Kelly said...

What an amazing transformation you did to that table! Noone would've looked twice at it before you came to its rescue. I love the white color and feel certain it will find a nice home soon. I have never used chalk paint before either, so hopefully one day I can blog about a makeover too.

Deborah said...

Its so beautiful Becky!!
Are you in love now?! :)
I have the old white, duck egg blue and provence.
Ive only tried the oldwhite so far and I love it!
Love how you put the cook books in it..great idea and so handy for you.
Have a great week!

Deborah xoxo

Linda said...

Wonderful!! I love how that turned out...I have been hearing about that paint and now I think I'm going to have to try it!!

Kit said...

Very very nice! What a great look. And you did a great job. Wish I could shop at your store. :) Kit

Anonymous said...

How pretty! Would love to see more pics of your antiques space. I just opened a booth in July and I'm always looking for inspiration!! mary

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Yup, I am going to be the very last blogger to try ASCP. I've had my project picked out for quite a while, but always seem to get sidetracked. Your space in the shop looks fun! I'd love to see some more pictures.
The table is darling!

Blondie's Journal said...

beautiful, Becky! I love the detail on the table and it looks so cute all dressed up in your booth. Hopefully soon I will find a place that sells the paint!

XO,
Janie

TheCrankyCrow said...

Too bad there's a restraining order against me and all paint-related products.... ;o) Truly - not a good mix. But I've only heard good things about AS chalk paints....Tempts me so...If they only sold it in these parts I might get up enough nerve to break the rules. The "no sanding" part intrigues me....Lovely redos - that table is so, so, sweet with the beneath shelves. Happy new week! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love the little table and it looks good filled with books.

the wild raspberry said...

Becky, I LOVE both of your pieces! They are sooo lovely! Thank you for sharing them with us! Have a super night my sweet friend.

warmly,
~debbie

Kathleen Grace said...

I love the quirky little table, and the little shelf underneath seems just perfect for the cookbooks. I would be tempted to keep it and the the little shelf too.

Anonymous said...

I love the look of this!! This color also makes it look like white that has aged. I have a question though. Are you saying you put the stain on First in the nooks and crannies only. Sanded some off where it was too dark...THEN painted the piece and sanded it down here and there to look aged. I too am wondering too what the difference and benefits this paint is than regular paint. Sarah

janice15 said...

A great piece, paint does wonders..I love how it came out...Can I ask you about the red white pot holders are they for sale. If so can I purchase them????????????? would love to. Im Janice from Mz Witherspoons, @spoonwither.blogspot.com..plz let me know or email me @ janice15@email.com...Thank you so much...

Pondside said...

This is the third post on chalk paint that I've enjoyed in 24 hours - time for me to try it, I think! Your little table turned out beautifully.

Lululiz said...

Perfect transformation, it really turned into a beautiful piece of furniture.

janice15 said...

I believe there is seven on the tree..I would like to know what it would cost me for all those..I love them all...

janice15 said...

The green on too. I have paypal account so that's not a problem or my bank visa which ever way. Please give me a price and we will go from there... thank you again so much...hugs for a great day..

"Create Beauty" said...

Beautiful!

You probably saw the post of all the things I painted with one quart of paint... at $39 a can it seemed high, but it was worth it. I've read some blog posts about women creating their own chalk paint by adding plaster of paris (one part to 2 parts regular paint)and I want to try that too.

Your pieces turned out lovely Becky!

HUGS!
Violet

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Darn... I wish I could be shopping at your store......everything is just so yummy!

Blessings,
Spencer