Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hey! Duhgall Made The Press!

Where you ask? In the Great Scots Magazine!!
How? Well let me tell you how...
Last summer our friend, Wave, wrote an article about some of
my "Cottage Scottie Collectibles." Wave is a contributing writer to Great Scots magazine and writes for the MacTreasure department. Some of you may have seen Wave's house featured as Cottage Of The Month (January 2009) at The Old Painted Cottage. Wave's Scottish Cottage is full of Scottie collectibles as well as home to two of her own delightful lassies, Bonnie and Maudie.
The photo below is Duhgall (at the top) and his half sister, Maudie. (note: Maudie is Fiona's full sister - her "big" sister).
Isn't the cover of the magazine just precious? Dr. Joseph Harvill and his wife, Charlotte, do an outstanding job putting together a beautiful publication that is full of great information such as Health Watch, MacRescue, fun stories of Scottie antics, wonderful photos of Scotties from all over the world and an Angels page (in memory of beloved Scotties).
Below is the article that Wave wrote about collecting Scottie items along with some photos of a few of my little treasures.
Even if you don't own a real Scottie, you could at least own a little Scottie treasure to brighten up your home. Afterall, they are such jolly lil' ones!
One of the first things I do when I get my issue of Great Scots is to flip to the color photographs of Scotties from all over the world. My husband and I get so much joy looking at all of these wee ones!
If you would like to order this amazing magazine, the information is below. You can even order one issue to try it out.
Now for the Scottie enthusiast, you can go hog wild at Tartan Scottie - the Harvill's site where they sell alllll kinds of great Scottie paraphernalia. See the Cowboy Magic? We discovered this at a feed store when Doogs was a puppy. Scotties have a dense top coat and the Cowboy Magic really helps to brush him out without too much hesitation and biting of the brush. It smells delightful, too.

The Harvills also have a lovely blog that is titled MacBlog. Stop on over if you haven't done so already. Who knows, maybe you will be enticed to own one of these wonderful dogs someday!!

Many of you have contacted me in the past asking questions about owning a Scottie. Let me tell you something, my husband knew I have wanted a Scottie for years and he was doing a little under cover research on them before buying Duhgall. He was trying to find me a dog for my Mother's Day gift three years ago but I walked in on him while he was on the computer looking up Scottie information. I honestly did not see what he had up on the screen but he tooted his own whistle and confessed. He said, "Honey, I just don't know if we should get a Scottie. They sound like little rascals to me." I told him that not each dog is like the other and you know the rest of that story.....I got my way! Two days later I had Duhgall!!

A bit about my knowledge of Scotties....

Scotties are loyal to their family. They will pick one "alpha" master, but will love the other family members, too.

They have big hearts and soul. Black eyes that will penetrate your inner being! I always say that Duhgall is a person with tons of black hair!! They are sensitive to your feelings. I cry each day over the loss of my son, Jordan, and Doogs is always right there by my side - like my little protector. It is my belief that they know things before we do.

They can be a bit aloof. By this I mean having you pay attention to them is on their terms. Not yours. Not all like to be held. Females tend to be more affectionate than the males. They like to be near you at all times and will lay at your feet, sometimes touching you - that is if they feel like it.

Known to be diggers. Ours aren't, but of course they are inside most of the time (we have a pool and they aren't allowed outside without direct supervision). Most Scotties aren't good swimmers.

Bred to hunt badgers and rats, hence their long noses that can get down into a hole!

Can be hard to potty train. You just have to be on them and stick to a strong schedule on taking them outside. Duhgall "got it" after we had him fixed. After 7 months, rolls of paper towels and many carpet cleanings I was ready to pull my hair out! Now little Fiona is so much easier. She goes on her pee pee mats but does have an occasional accident on the tile floor.

Shedding: Scotties have hair, like humans. They drop hair like us but won't leave you covered with dog hair. Brushing them every few days will help with the dog hair issue.

As for allergies, everyone is different. I recommend that if you are looking into getting a Scottie, you should go and hold one in person to see if you have a reaction to them.

Lastly, thanks to Dr. Joseph Harvill and Charlotte Harvill for such a delightful magazine!! I will be sending in some photos of Duhgall and Fiona to see if they will make the color pages!!!

~~~~~~~~

Taking each day at a time...

Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers...

Hold your loved ones tightly....

xx

34 comments:

Jean said...

Becky, how wonderful to be in the Scottie magazine. You really gave everyone some great info on owning a Scottie. I am going to have to get that magazine even though my maggie is a cairn not a scottie, but they have just about the same qualities. Of course I too have always loved scottie collectibles.Duhgall and Fiona would be so cute together in a magazine photo. Everyone would fall in love with them.
Love and prayers,
Jean in virginia

Valerie said...

Hello there.

Love the Scottie post! (I bought my sweet Mary Catherine the most adorable toddler dress; it was red corduroy with black scotties appliqued around the bottom!)

When I was growing up there was such a sweet Scottie that lived in our subdivision (the same subdivision with the adorable cottage house). We were Westie owners and those two little Scottish doggies were adorable together! Soemtimes we would pass while walking our dogs and other neighbors would step outside just to take a watch!

Continue to keep you, your family, and your sweet son Jordan, in my prayers. I was so impressed with the ice sculpture posting that I made sure to show it to my fire fighter husband when he returned home. Of course he had already seen it, but agreed that it was fantastic, none-the-less!

With my whirlwind trip to St. Louis I didn't have time to visit my parents' old subdivision and snap a photo of the quaint cottage, but plan to return again in late March for a longer visit and hope to do so then!

Blessings to you from the heartland!

Maison Douce said...

Congratilations, Becky!!! Duhgall is a cutie, and deserves his newfound fame!!
Isabel

The Raggedy Girl said...

What an interesting post about Scottie dogs and your famous published Duhgall. I continue to hold you in prayer...I am glad your puppy is a comfort when you cry. Today is my Dad's Birthday and I miss him so much as I was a total Daddy's girl and I can't seem to stop the tears either but I cannot imagine the pain you must be feeling and just pray that your wonderful memories of a precious son are a comfort.

Roberta Anne

Bella Della said...

How precious. I've always loved Scotties but never owned one. Perhaps one day. They certainly are the cutest.

Sentimentally Me said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! The Doog-Meister is sorta famous now!! Very Kewl info on the scotties too, now can you find me a magazine for my silly beagles & basset hound??!!! xoxox P

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!! I love the breed & used to own two of them. I highly reccomend them to the right homes. I now own boston terriers & shephers. Not for breeding, just rescue and loving.

I love that a fellow blogger got to show off their critter. Congrats to you!!

Pink Slippers said...

What a great post and love the look of that magazine. They seem to do a great job on it.
Wendy

the wild raspberry said...

Congrats little Doogs...Maybe you can send me a "pawtograph"! What a star.
I have the world's most aloof breed...the basenji. It is like having a cat-but in a dog's body. I love him anyway.
Lotsalove to you!
Chasity

Anonymous said...

Way to go Duhgall!!! All who stop by here know what a great fella you are.........now the world knows. Scotties have always held a special place in my heart since I grew up loving my Aunt's Scottie Hedy. Please share some more pictures of sweet little Fiona.

Becky I continue to keep you all in my prayers.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Oh how thrilling! I just love your Scottie post! Thanks for sharing all the great photos. The magazine looks awesome!

Whenever we are on an antiquing adventure, I find Scotties of all sorts and have a small collection. Just can't resist them!

tam said...

Well that is such a wonderful thing to happen for you and your Scottie! I love Scotties too-but then there aren't many dog's I don't like! LOL! I hope you make the color pages! Have a nice rest of your week~Tam!:D

Decor To Adore said...

I grew up with Scotties~Cinders and Mac. Loved them. Although they are Scottish they might like the Irish series I am currently writing now.

Please stop by and enter my giveaway.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I think it is interesting how we seem to gravitate to certain breeds of dogs. My Mother wanted a Scottie so badly and never got one. Not one single one in her 84 years. She would have been SO envious of your Duhgall and Fiona.
She had stuffed ones, plates with little Scotties on them..and to this day I have a little poem in an old frame from the 1930's or early '40's with a little Scottie on it that belonged to Mom. Great post, Becky.
Sending you a big hug, my sweet friend.
Mona

cherry said...

Heyyyy there! Congrats Mr. Duhgall...you celebrity you. I loved reading up on their traits and personalities. I don't know what we would do without our Riley and our kitty Calvin...they give such love AND amusement! Love to you Ms. Becky! (I plan on doing a post on the wonderful things you made me real soon). I have been behind! xoxo, cherry

Lisa said...

Oh Becky, now there will be no stopping Duhgall, next thing you know he will want an agent...ha! He is such a handsome man, and now Fiona will be learning the ropes as well.

Be well and take care of yourself.

Miss Jean said...

Oh, goodness, Duhgall! Now that you are famous I hope that you will remember us little people. Seriously, that is so way cool.

Becky, what a great post on the characteristics of Scotties. As you know, our little Maggie is about as different from our first Scotty, Marjorie, as she could be. Marjorie was easy to housebreak, never chewed or dug up the yard. Always so polite to guests. Now Miss Maggie is just the opposite. She's our little clown. You said one thing that is so true. They pick someone out to be their special person. Maggie follows me EVERYWHERE!!! We've had her exactly a year now and I can't imagine life without her!

Miss Maggie can't wait to meet little Fiona J.
xxoo

Patina said...

Oh you bring a tear to my eye.

Lots of hugs your way!

I can see why you love Scottie dogs so much. I'm so glad Duhgall loves you so. Isn't God good to have made these little creatures that bring us much joy.

BIG Hugs!

twinkle said...

Love that Duhgall is a comfort to you about Jordan. I just passed that name "Jordan" to a blogging friend polling her readers for a middle name for her coming baby son. Duhgall has always looked so dapper to me in your pictures! I am a fan!

Anonymous said...

Becky, i'm trying to type through my tears and my heart aches and i'm praying for some sort of comfort to come your way...i was referred to your blog by my good friend jennifer, of the old painted cottage...she wanted me to see your house because i own 2 scotties myself...and jennifer found out i used to live in modesto as well so she thought i would enjoy your blog...and i have!...you write with such feeling and the scottie post touches me as i feel you are writing about my little ones...we have a male and female (and a very tolerant cat) and they are part sweet and part silly and part mischievious!...hang in there, becky..you have a world of friends out here if you need them...mimi

OH MY #6 said...

I have not ever not had a scottie in my life. Except the past few years. I will get one again soon. Her name will be OLIVE!

Lea
xo

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Becky..I left an earlier post but it has vanished. I just mentioned that my mother adored Scotties and wanted one all her life. She only got them in pictures and on plates. :)
I think of you and your family every day. I wish I could hug you. My prayers are with you.
Mona

Tracey said...

Wow. Dughall is famous!
Thanks for all the great info on Scotties :)
I am glad yours are such a comfort to you.
Take care, Tracey

Lisa Pogue said...

Congratulations Doogs, you made the big time!! I love this article. I'm trying to talk my mom into getting one when she retires. They sound like the perfect pooch for her!!

Robin said...

Congrats to you! What a wonderful thing to be featured in the article!
I loved how you described them.....they have such personalities don't they? I loved that Duhgall is right by your side in your times of sadness. They are just so compassionate. I once frowned for several seconds at my dog, then smiled as big as I could....and she wagged her tail when I smiled! There! PROOF that they can tell our moods!

Teresa said...

What a great post, Becky! I also wanted a Scottie for years. My girls were all grown and married and I was taking care of my mom. She passed away in April of 2005, and by September of that year I was pretty overwhelmed. I had lost my dad and brother and now mom. Sole survivor and dealing with probate. My youngest daughter (the one whose husband just got back from Iraq) was visiting. Being very in tune with me she suggested we call the breeder I had been in contact with over previous years. She had puppies and only two left. The little girl that I thought I wanted and would have called Gracie was already promised. That left two brothers. I was nervous because I had no dish, no crate no...... But Baxter grabbed me wee ticker and there you have it. Check book out! The Beatle's were wrong. You can buy love! The joke for some time was that we should have named him Prozac because he gave me a happy reason to get up every morning and enjoy each day. For the last several months I've been wanting another Scottie. You are right what you say about them. Of course so is your husband... the word rascal does come up around here from time to time. Baxter is a really good boy, but he is a Scottie.

Congratulations on Duhgall's press coverage. That handsome young boy deserves it! Send those pictures in. Maybe they will be in by the time I get my subscription. :-) I have considered subscribing to Great Scots. I think I will once we are moved into the house we bought here... which should be in about three weeks. Tartan Scottie is one of my favorite places. I had never heard of Cowboy Magic. I need to get some of that. Thanks!!!!!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Congrats to the magazine article. I have been very grateful for the information you have given me about Scotties.
xo
Penny

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Becky,

I enjoyed reading about the Scottie.I didn't know much about them except I have always thought them cute. My neighbor has a Scottie and I see them walking every now and then in the summer. We lost our family dog of 15 years 2 years ago. My husband and I have been wanting another dog but have not agreed yet on what breed to choose, so your information was very helpful. How very exciting for you that Duhgall was in the spot light!. I have added you to my favorite blogs.
Enjoy your day and God Bless,
Elizabeth

Sinta Renee said...

Congratulations on your "spread" in the Great Scot/Scottie magazine. Not just another day in the life ofDuhgall. He is famous...next we will be asking for his autograph:)I have always loved your collection of Cottage-scotties. Sending you hugs & warm thoughts.

Kathleen Grace said...

You must have been so happy that Duhgall made the magazine:>) You really do have the cutest Scotty collection and every time I see one whether real or a figurine, I think of you immediately!

Lallee said...

How wonderful that Duhgall and some of your delightful collections are in the magazine. I'm wishing I still had my subscription now! Great post on capturing the 'spirit' of Scotties. I always say that aren't for everyone or for the beginner dog owner, but they sure are the breed for us!
Hugs to all of you,
Lallee

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness ♥ How exciting! Congratulations. I just love scotties. We have always thought of getting one. Your two are just adorable!

Donna said...

How wonderful for you to have your collections featured in the magazine! I don't have a real Scottie, but I do have a little Scottie dog bookend in our family room bookcase! Every home should have at least one Scotty, real or otherwise!!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

GranthamLynn said...

Oh Daisy was so excited! How neat that the Dughall boy is famous now. Thanks for sharing. It was so fun to read. Makes me want a Scottie. I already did really.
Thanks for sharing with us all.
Love and Prayers to you and yours.
Hugs,
Sherry