Ok, after reading Miss Esther's mishap and fire blunder, I decided to come forward and come clean with my idiotic - and I mean IDIOTIC - incident that happened to me last week.
I had showered, put my robe on, came downstairs for round two on my morning java and decided to light a candle. So here I am, standing in front of the stove and on my tile floor, wet hair wrapped in a towel, and butt naked under my robe. (eeeee-gads!) My son had just left for school and I was home alone, well Doogs and Kitty were here. I picked up my candle, struck a match and lit the wick. Ahh....nothing is better than a fresh smelling candle to make the house smell wonderful. The cheap-O matches sometimes spark a bit and, of course, it sparked good that time around. So I reached over and sat the candle-in-the-jar on top of my stove. Then I smelled something burning - and it did not smell like my "Fresh Rain" candle. I quickly surveyed the room...nothing. Then I looked down at my robe - now keep in mind that I did not have my glasses on and what I was looking at was vvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrryyyyy blurrrrrrry - but there were flames. Bright orange, like the photo above. OMGAWD!!!!!! All I could say was, "oh God, oh God, oh God, oh God!!!!!!!!!" My former fire training kicked in and I shed the robe into a pile and threw a bowl of dirty sink water on the robe. OMG OMG OMG!!!! Spffffffffff..........smolder.......oh, ouch.....I feel a sunburn! Thank God I reacted quick - and without my second cup of coffee, too! And I also thank God I hadn't opened my blinds in my bay window that is in our kitchen. It is like a fish bowl having them opened. Now wouldn't that have been a site - me running around in my birthday suit and acting like a crazy woman! I am thankful that I only got a very small burn on my stomach. Good ol' adrenaline - makes us kick in our fight or flight mode - and the OH Shit factor!
Note to self: Buy the propane lighters at the grocery store and ditch the matches. And if my fireman son is reading this, your momma did good!