Tuesday, April 14, 2015






So tonight I sit in pause, thinking, mulling over a few things in my head.  Why?  Well, because, I lost a precious sister in Christ.  Her name was, and still is, Sonja.  Today was her service.  Some of my most near and dear friends were at the service.  We were there to celebrate Sonja’s life. Her precious life.



Over my years of blogging, I have spoken how God is the master weaver of life.  He intertwines friendships in such a way that there is a connective reason for such a crossover of the threads in our life.  He has a plan. 

Be it incomprehensible at first, but a realization of the whys later on.  One thread at a time.  One friendship at a time…and step after step after step, thread after thread after thread, the masterpiece comes together.  The realization of the beauty of the piece is displayed in a way that each thread has a name, a reason, a purpose.  The humans, who are the threads, may not at first notice the importance of the such thread, but if you pay attention, each thread has a name – a reason, a soul – and those threads all become the shroud of life.   Sonja was one of those threads in my life.

Maybe I am losing you, my reader, by now.  Should you venture on and not finish what I have to say, that is ok.  I am a believer and my purpose here is not to offend any of those who are not.  But should you continue to read on, then that is just wonderful.  I am honored.



As I grow older, my mortality is becoming heightened.  I am 54, however I have lost so many loved ones who are so much younger – and older – than I.  My sensitivity to death was elevated when I lost my oldest son, Jordan, and then, after that, death became more fragile to me.  My heart just breaks when I lose a dear friend or family member.  But then, my grief is shortened when I know that they did not die, but are still living and have met Jesus in person.  Life is forever.

Today I attended a celebration of life for my friend Sonja.  Sonja was one of those women who had such strength, such a faith in God, and such a will to want to live, though she knew that only a miracle would allow her such continuance on this earth.  And God decided to take her home instead.

Sonja was 81 years young.  Not an old 81, but one of someone who seemed a lot younger than her physical years.  She was not only a sister in Christ, but a wife, a grandmother, a sister and a friend to many.  She was an inspiration to many, including myself, and had the most impeccably beautiful home – one of my favorite homes in our community.  Her tenacity and get it done attitude was reflective in her home and garden.  Over the years, I have admired her will, her collections, her home and her faith.

Her death made me think of so many things.  I drove past her house the other day and had to pull over for a pause.  I sat and stared at her amazing iconic cottage home.  I thought about the flowers out front, the wonderful shutters that she had recently painted a French blue and then about everything else that embodied her and her home…her husband, especially, and how he would endure her passing onto Heaven.  Their faith in God is strong, so knowing that makes everything a little more bearable.

And with this, I am so grateful to have known Sonja and to have had her in my earthly life, though I did not get to know her as much as the other friends in our circle.  She was there for me when I was at my lowest point in life, and I will cherish her friendship and Godly sisterhood. 


Sometimes there are things in life that rock your world really hard and to make you stop dead in your tracks and to think about the short time on earth that we really do have.  Today was one of those days. Knowing that the promise of life for an eternity does take the sting of death more bearable.  The promise of life, forever, to all of those who believe in Jesus and to accept him as our Lord and Savior, makes leaving this earth, our temporary home a lot easier.  I know that Sonja slipped from her earthly body and into the arms of Jesus.  No more pain, but a life eternal in exchange for the few years she had on earth.

Life is fragile.  A vapor.  Really.  It really is.

It is only saying so long for now……
Till we hear the trumpets sound...
Till we see the clouds part and the lion run
in the sky.
And hallelujah….!!!
Scoop us into the arms of our Lord.
Life lives on.
Forever.
And Forever.


So long for now.....


The beauty of faith is never to really have to say goodbye...but for now, it is just a "see ya later!"  

A smile in my heart for Sonja...and happy for her for making a full circle of life.  So happy for you, sister. Peace.....love....and thanks for being such a precious friend.















40 comments:

Terra said...

The lion running in the sky, I like that. Your friend sounds like a dear lady who is now in heaven.

Blondie's Journal said...

My heart breaks for your loss, and you expressed your feelings so eloquently. I'm the same age as you and I have lost so many friends and family...I often think that as I grow older, I will experience this more and more...it doesn't make it easier.

Love, prayers and hugs to you.

Jane xx

NanaDiana said...

Aw, Becky, I am reading this with tears in my eyes. We are about to lose another dear brother-the time is near- and I don't think he is ready yet...but it is not in our time at all, is it?

We lost a grandchild and even though we know that soul rests with God it is an ever present ache that never fully leaves...there is always those whispers of "what if"...those days of "remember when"...

God bless you-and God bless Sonja's family and husband as they walk that path that so many of us have walked...a path we would rather not have to tread.

You are right- I think the older we get and the closer we get to "going home" the more introspective we become. xo Diana

Lisa Marie said...

So beautifully written. Sonja sounds like a wonderful lady and example to all. Hugs to you!

Diane Mars said...

Beautiful Post what a gift you had in her friendship~

Rebecca said...

I share your "belief" (and your name) and see no reason to be bashful about it. :)

What a beautiful friend Sonja must have been to you! Losses such as this make the friends we have all the more precious to us, I think....

Claudia said...

Beautifully written and straight from your soul to ours, Becky. My sympathies on the loss of your dear friend. I, too, have lost many in my life. It started when I was quite young, so I've had to come to terms with loss - though can we ever fully come to terms with it? I do know that life is eternal and your dear Sonja has just crossed the bridge from here to there. Blessings to you and yours.

Claudia

Sandy said...

Your tribute to your friend was so touching. It's hard to release someone, but you're right, knowing they are in Heaven with Jesus makes it a little more bearable. My mom began her journey with Jesus in October 2014. May God richly bless you and hold you in His loving arms.

Stacey said...

Becky, so perfect as always. My precious mother in law suffered absolute cardiac arrest a little over three weeks ago. With CPR and defibrillators followed by two weeks in the hospital, she is recovering. It's a true miracle in our eyes and we do believe it happened because God has a plan for her still. She is a person with so much faith it is really inspiring. She has never doubted that if she dies, she is entering Heaven. It does help to know that when we lose someone. Sending you hugs girl!

Mary said...

Oh Becky, how beautiful your words are this morning. I will copy your post (if OK by you) and tuck it away in my special folder for bits and bobs pertaining to loss, death, aging, the sad things that have to eventually be faced by us all as the years take their toll.
Sonja must have been so special. How lovely you had her as a friend - she sounded like the perfect one in so many ways. I'm happy she will be remembered dearly by so many.

God bless - Mary X

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Becky, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend Sonja. What a beautiful tribute to your friend, your words really touched my heart. Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs to you!

Wanda A said...

Wow, Becky. Such beautifully written words about your friend, and sister in Christ, Sonja. You now have another deposit in Heaven - there is an old gospel tune that has the lyric "I've got more to go to Heaven for, than I had yesterday". I often wonder why God takes some and leaves others... and I believe it's so that those remaining may have more time to come into relationship with Him if they have not yet done so.

My thoughts & prayers are with you!

Hugs,
Wanda A.

20 North Ora said...

What a precious tribute to your dear friend. What a marvelous person she must have been and apparently impacted a lot of people's lives. Sorry for your loss but grateful for her beliefs. It does make it a bit easier knowing where she is now.

Love,
Judy

Kim said...

I feel it, too, dear Becky. I'm only slightly younger than you, and death seems to be more a subject I'd rather not deal with as I get older, but must. Thankfully, I'm a believer, too, so I have the same hope as you. It still is hard to be separated from those you love. My hubby is in the process of putting his elderly mother in an assisted living facility. I miss the days when she was younger and we could enjoy conversation together. Now she has such a poor memory that it only frustrates her and her family to try to discuss anything. So many getting older, so much suffering. Thank God we have this hope that it's not over, just a temporary, albeit painful, separation.

Susie said...

Becky, I am sending you a special hug. You are way too young to be thinking about death...but it has ways of touching our lives. I am so sorry about your sweet boy, Jordan. Now your friend Sonja. You know they are with our Lord...living new lives. No Pain, no sorrow. If only God could ease that great sense of loss and longing. The sharp pain of loss does ease, but the longing never goes away. We must continue to pray for God's comfort. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Kathleen Grace said...

I am so sorry for your loss Becky, but you have written a beautiful testimony to the beauty of faith, the place it has in the lives of friends and our hope of heaven and seeing our loved ones again. It is true, as we get older we start to understand how temporary and fleeting this life is and that none of us are going to live forever on earth. Heaven is our forever home and all who love God will be together there some day. If I never get the chance to meet you here on earth, I know I will see you there! Sending hugs...

Patty Marker said...

Such a beautiful post and a lovely tribute to a woman who surely touched many. i am so sorry that you and those who love her are feeling the pain of the earthly loss. I will praying that you remain saturated in the peace and promise of eternity.

addie373 said...

A beautiful tribute for your friend. Thank you for sharing your heart and soul and your love for the Lord Jesus Christ. I'm very thankful and feel so blessed that our threads of life intertwined.

Blessings,
Sheila

Brenda Pruitt said...

I'm so sorry you lost your friend.
Brenda

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I remember the morning I woke up, made coffee and turned on my computer..and read what a friend had written for you. You had lost your precioius son, Jorden. You and I had never met..but I burst out crying in absolute anguish for you. I had only spoken to you a few days before on the phone and it was as if we had known one another for years.
Little did I know that within just a short time, I would lose one of my own children, my eldest daughter, the one that loved to bake cookies for her little brothers and sisters. My life will never be the same, nor will yours.
As we age we become more and more aware of our mortality.
Not everyone understands how fragile life is..
I understood completely what you meant about our beloved friends weaving the fabric of our lives.
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. You will meet again. I have faith that you and I will see our babies and our friends again.
I will see my husband and all those that have gone before me.
This was so sweetly written.

Elsie said...

Becky that's a beautiful post for your friend. I'm sorry for your loss . Heaven is what we look forward to, our forever home with our God. Lots of hugs to you girly.

agravette said...

I am so sorry that your precious friend's time here on earth is over, but rejoicing that she is with Jesus now. I'm praying for you and her family as you all adjust to her homegoing. God bless you.

Jaybird said...

Beautiful thoughts, wonderfully expressed.
Blessings to you and your friend's family.
J

Vee said...

Becky, this was a profoundly beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your friend Sonja with us. She sounds like a remarkable person. Now she is younger than either of us...what joy to think of it, and more alive than ever before. I have prayed comfort for her family and friends. It's not easy to say "so long for now."

Kathy said...

Becky I have been bad about visiting blogs lately. I got on here tonight and I am very sorry for your lose of your dear friend. So sad when we lose someone we care so much for. I will keep you in my prayers and her family. Such a sad time. When we all get to heaven what a beautiful place we will be. Much love,Kathy

pogonip said...

It is so hard to be left behind, Becky, but so lovely to celebrate a wonderful life. No one truly dies as long as they live in our dear memories. Your heartfelt post has once again reminded me to make this world better however I can.

Unknown said...

So beautifully put. She was blessed by you too, you know. :)
((Huggs))
~Liz

Linda Walker said...

So very sorry Becky for your heart breaking loss. I am about your age and I too have experienced losses of dear family and friends.....Hugs and prayers,
Linda
mysewwhatblog

Jocelyn said...

The woman who became my very best friend passed from this life to eternity 10 years ago. She shared her love and life with me for almost 20 years. When she left, there has been a vacuum that has never been filled. I too am most grateful to our loving Lord who assures us that one day we will be reunited. I believe the Lord is calling His saints home. Diana was young when she left, but knowing that we will spend eternity with our Lord brings a peace and yearning to my heart. Until that time, my heart still misses her sweet laugh and gregarious friendship. She was a true heart friend. One that forever has left her imprint on my heart.

Rue said...

What a beautiful goodbye (or see ya later! ;) ) for your friend, Becky. I'll say a prayer for her husband.

((((hugs))) and love,
rue

Anonymous said...

Becky, I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. But you've said it all! The only thing that matters is that we know Jesus and we have His promise of tomorrow, heaven, and we'll see these believers again. I so remember when Jordan went home. I cried for you. Praying for the empty spot in your heart and Sonja's family.
Blessings,
Shelia

Kate said...

One of the most beautiful tributes to a friend I have ever read. Though death does sting, it does not win for those who believe. I hope to meet your friend Sonja one day. She sounds like an amazing woman.

Shannon said...

So beautiful what you wrote about Sonya, I'm sure she is smiling. I also have lost many many family members, including my husband who passed at the age of 45, I know he is in the arms or Jesus looking down and protecting his family.
Thank you for the reminder of our time on earth and what we have to look forward to.
Shannon

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

So very touched...so sorry for your loss. This was a beautiful post. As we age life seems more precious. I only hope it's me before my sons, their wives or the wonderful grandchildren.
God bless you and yours.

Unknown said...

It read (and reread) your entire post. It was very inspiring, very moving, what a wonderful tribute to your dear friend. It really moved me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your wisdom . God Bless You

Imagery by Kimberly said...

((((Beckers))))

Your beautiful heart and soul has shared so lovingly about your precious friend. Because of you, we have now been blessed to "know" of her and to feel touched by her spirit. I will keep her and her family and YOU in my heart and prayers. I am so sorry for your earthly loss of Sonja. I am sure, like so many of us, she loved you very very much. And I am also sure that you were a loving light in her life like no other. This I know first hand.

I love you dearly. Always, always, you are with me.

Kim

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your friend it makes me want to treasure the time I have with my friends even more. Thanks for sharing. Bev

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I'm your newest follower. This post really touched my heart. Maybe Sonja guided me here just when I needed to hear your words. I have experienced wonderful moments of guidance from those who have passed and it has made me believe that they stay with us forever. May God bless her family.

Julie said...

Beautiful words about your friend, Becky. I have faith that we will all meet in Heaven one day, but death is so hard for me. I guess one would say I am selfish wanting the person to stay here with me, rather than go on to their heavenly life. I am growing and hope I get stronger.

Amy said...

I was scrolling down the pages of your blog and your statue of the Infant of Prague caught my eye. I'm glad it did because I was honored to read your heartwarming tribute to your dear friend....just beautiful.