Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Farmer’s Market Sign

 
Several moons back I bought some old doors from a friend with intentions on making up some signs.  I finally got around to finishing this one! 


IMG_0886

I used a green paint for the base (although my pictures make the green look more gray), applied Annie Sloan white to the top.  Next I sanded like the dickens to get the green to show through.  Instead of stenciling the words, I traced the letters and hand painted them with black acrylic paint.  I allowed the black paint to dry overnight and then sanded more to make the sign look aged. 

IMG_0889

A little black paint was added to the grooves for a pop of detail.
I used an oak stained wax to add a little antiquing.  The next day I buffed it out to give it have a little luster.

IMG_0893

A fun project!  Looking forward to using my other door for another sign.

They are kind of addicting to make!





17 comments:

Stacey said...

That's so cute! I've been looking at the signs that some people are making and just might try my hand at it.

20 North Ora said...

Great sign! So good to see you posting again. Missed you!

Judy

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love your hand painted produce sign, Becky! It's perfect for this time of year. All you need is a cart full of pumpkins and you're in business! I like the paint finish you gave it- it looks authentically old. I could use something like that by my back door. Now that we've put away the lawn furniture it's so bare looking! I can't wait to see what you do with the next door!

Have a good evening!
Vickie

Kris said...

I love it!!!!!!
xo Kris

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

What a great sign...would love to find one just like it! :)

Mary said...

That is so good - you might consider becoming professional sign painter Becky!

I recently posted on signs at my local SuzAnna's Antiques - all are super and the gals seem to enjoy making them so much.

Happy day - Mary

Debbie said...

I love the idea! Love the colors!!

Hugs to you today!
Love you.
*Conall's mom :)

FoxandFinch said...

You did a great job on this sign. What transfer method did you use. I would like to know which method you like the best. Thank you.
Ginene

Unknown said...

They are a little addicting! So fun tho to have a project turn out perfectly. :) Where ya gonna hang it?
Or will you sell them in your shop?
~Liz

Susan Freeman said...

Wonderful!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Elsie said...

Becky your hard work paid off, but you could have spelled Market correctly. "SIKE" just kidding! You did a great job ! I love it. I just wish I could come shop in your booth. I live way too far South. 😩 It's so good to see you post, we all missed you.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a great addiction to have! Love this project.

Jen Kershner said...

Your sign turned out great! I've had it in my mind to do a couple myself. You inspire!!!

Unknown said...

Very nice post.

lilalee at fou fou lulu's said...

nicely done. Hey might you be interested in some brown transfer ware...thinking about letting mine go.

Tante Mali said...

How cute! Love this sign!
Have fun
Elisabeth

Cranberry Morning said...

Love, love this sign! What a lot of work, especially hand painting the letters. Are these cabinet doors or smaller? Beautiful, and such a great idea. Glad you showed us your technique. Thanks. (Love your header.) :-)