Sunday, September 21, 2014

Beautiful Stitches In The Pacific Northwest

My husband, Duhgall and I went on a quick road trip up to visit his brother and sister up in the PNW.  Our first destination was to visit his sister and her husband.  They live in Eastern Washington State.  We arrived just in time to get in on the last hour of the quilt show that my sister in law, Valerie, was involved with.  I literally got out of my car at her house and jumped into her car to go into town for the show. 

IMG_0530








There were so many beautiful quilts in the quilt show!   The quilts shown above are a “mystery quilt” and the quilters have no idea of how it will look in the beginning of the sewing process.  They are given a list of how much fabric to buy and how to piece them together as they go.  As you can see, each one looks different from the other.
IMG_0531
I have a fondness for the 1930’s reproduction fabrics and the quilt in the center (above) was made with such prints.  Below is a closer view of the fabrics.  They are so sweet and I love the colors. 
IMG_0531
Valerie chose beautiful colors of teal, green, blue and purple for her “mystery quilt”.  It is BEAUTIFUL, like her!  Valerie is one of those blessed beings who is uber talented and can do anything creative.  She has only been quilting for two years – yes, two years and her work is exceptional!  She had four quilts in the show, one of which she designed as a challenge quilt.  I will share that further down in this post.
IMG_0532
There were traditional quilts, art quilts, and applique quilts.
IMG_0509
IMG_0511
IMG_0512
Above, there is a quilt on the right side that was designed by using the vintage embroidery (below).  The quilter found this sampler half finished at a thrift store and finished it up for her quilt.
IMG_0513
Below is a quilt Valerie made using Batik fabrics.  The colors are so soothing.  She did all of the quilting on her sewing machine.  And freehand, too.  Did I mention she has only been quilting for TWO years!  She spent an afternoon with me in her sewing room to teach me some machine quilting techniques.  I had so much fun on her fancy Bernina’s.
IMG_0514
IMG_0515
This red and white quilt was one of my favorites.
IMG_0517
IMG_0518
IMG_0519
IMG_0520
Below is the challenge quilt that Valerie made.  It is called the Life Of Pie. 
IMG_0522
It all begins with Pumpkin Seeds….
From the growth of the Pumpkin, making of the pie and slicing off a hunk to enjoy…with a spoonful of whipped cream on top.
IMG_0523
No details left out..even a bug eaten leaf was incorporated into the quilt.  Her artful machine quilting is exquisite!  She said the quilting alone took ten hours to do. 
IMG_0524
IMG_0525
Below is a quilt that was made by Valerie’s friend, Judy.  It was stunning!  I adore the primitive design and the saying at the bottom of the quilt.  I tried to roll this was up and hide it in my purse…..but my purse was too small…Winking smile It would be PeRfEcT in my house!
IMG_0527
Another favorite was the quilt below, also made by Judy.  The geraniums are wool and hand sewn onto the quilt.  I adore the colors in this one and the mix of textures.  Quilts sure have come a long way from the days when my great grandmother sat and hand quilted with her lady friends.
IMG_0528
IMG_0529
Below is a paper piecing quilt Valerie made.  It is a baby quilt size.  One of the squares is of her dog, Dinkum.  Dinky is a Queensland Healer and just a sweet, sweet girl.  This little quilt is full of detail.
IMG_0536
IMG_0538
IMG_0581
Lastly, another favorite of mine – this red and white Christmas quilt with adorable snowmen.  There are so many details in this quilt from hand sewn buttons, trims, applique techniques and embroidery.
IMG_0542
IMG_0546
IMG_0547
I will be sharing more about our PNW adventure.  

And thank you for all of the input provided about advertising on my blog.  I do appreciate your thoughts on the subject. 

Till next time.....

19 comments:

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Quilting is one of the things on my bucket list, and looking at the gorgeous quilts you've featured today makes me want to start right now! Your sister-in-law's quilts look like they were made by somebody who's been quilting their entire life. Gorgeous! I like the vintage prints, too, and I've started collecting fat quarters. You have to start somewhere, right?

Thanks for sharing the photos with us, Becky, and have a good day!

Vickie

20 North Ora said...

What a fun trip! I can just see you hopping out of your car and into hers to hurry up and get to that quilt show! LOL

Judy

Donna said...

What a feast for the eyes! Your sister's work is incredible!

scottylover said...

Thank you for sharing this! Your SIL is very talented! This is just what I needed to see today. Now maybe I will get back in the mood to quilt. :)

Sandy A

Prims By The Water said...

What gorgeous quilts! TFS Janice

Elsie said...

Becky I am in love with all of them! If I can catch up with everyone else's project they bring me I have two quilts to make. I made each grandson a quilt, a fish theme on one and deer on the other. Your sister in law does excellent work for just quilting 2 years. Good for her! Next time bring a larger purse, I'd like one too. 😃

Patina said...

Wow, super talented people. Lots of beautiful quilts. It sounds like you had a great time. We've had some really nice weather here lately. Hope you made it to Monticello and enjoyed your time there.
Debbie

Danice G said...

All gorgeous quilts expertly crafted. Thank you for sharing this with us :)

Danice G said...

All gorgeous quilts expertly crafted. Thank you for sharing this with us :)

Jocelyn said...

Thank you for sharing the beautiful quilts from the quilt show. Each one was exceptional!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Thank you for sharing Valerie's talents! You have inspired me.

Kris said...

What gorgeous quilts! I would have gladly hopped from one car to another, when it came to visiting a quilt show!!! I have some family in the PNW and have always wanted to go visit! I am hoping to be able to soon.
The quilt that was found in the thrift and finished, fascinated me. I loved them all!!
xo Kris

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

They are all so gorgeous! I am in awe of quilters. Fabulous.

FoxandFinch said...

Everyone of these is a masterpiece. I couldn't stop looking at Judy's, the more I looked, the more I saw. They are all like that. I am so proud to know that the tradition of American quilts not only continues, but moves past necessity into functional and heirloom-quality art.

pogonip said...

I love a quilt show where I can't decide which one is my favorite--you've shown so many "winners"!

Unknown said...

I love the reproduction print quilt (well, actually I love all of them) and would like to know the name of the pattern used to make it.

Unknown said...

On your page of "Beautiful Stitches in the Pacific Northwest"
The first three pictures of the quilts shown, do you happen to know the name of the quilt pattern? If so how do I get a hold of you?
Thank You

Anonymous said...

Those 3 quilts are 2 blocks. First is 5440 or Fight, Second is Churn Dash. Some use s block very similar to Churn Dash, but simplier, called Shoo Fly. If you google for Aunt Gracie's Garden quilt you can see an illustration of that version.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

thank you, anonymous, for sharing what the patterns are.