Monday, September 22, 2014

A Must Try Asian Salad


While up in Washington State visiting family, my sister in law and I ventured out to their nearest market to gather groceries for an evening meal.  While standing in line to pay, we spotted a Gluten Free Better Homes and Garden magazine that was in the “teaser rack for compulsive last minute grabs”.    We both plucked a copy from said rack and began thumbing through it.  There were a lot of “Oooooo, this looks good!” and a lot of “Mmmm….this sounds interesting….” and, needless to say, I bought the magazine – one for her and one for moi.

Since then, I have made several recipes from that issue (which is on the magazine stands now through November 25).  The Fish Tacos and The Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Custards are outstanding!  I had left over cabbage, cilantro, limes and carrots from the slaw for the tacos that I made the other night.  Because I am really, really trying hard to not be wasteful with food, I found the Asian recipe called for many of the ingredients that I had left on hand. 

This little salad is cold and full of flavor.  And if you make it, you will want seconds!  I added cut up chicken breasts for protein.
IMG_0826
Cabbage and carrots are smothered with a creamy peanut sauce and topped with roasted peanuts and snippets of cilantro.
IMG_0824
Fresh limes to squeeze over the entire salad…
IMG_0827
…and ready to dig in!!
It is really, really good….really!  I wish there were left overs because I would have some for breakfast.
Shucks.

IMG_0825
Cabbage and Carrot Salad With Peanut Sauce
1 3.75 oz. package bean threads (cellophane noodles)
1/4 cup gluten free chicken broth
3 TBSP creamy peanut butter (I used chunky)
2 TBSP tamari or liquid aminos (liquid aminos is a natural soy sauce alternative)
2 TBSP honey
1 tsp  lime juice
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil (I used non toasted)
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup honey roasted peanuts (I used plain roasted)
Lime Wedges
Grilled chicken or tofu (optional, but I used chicken, cut into bite size pieces)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1.  In a large bowl combine bean threads with enough hot water to cover them and let them soak for 10 minutes.  Drain when done.  Set aside.

2.  In a large bowl combine broth, peanut butter, tamari, honey, lime juice, sesame oil and garlic.  Add cabbage and carrots and toss to coat.

3. Divide bean threads among individual plates.  Top with cabbage mixture, sprinkle with cilantro, chicken and peanuts.  Serve with lime wedges.  

Makes 4 servings – or 2 large servings for those who want seconds!

If you run across the BH&G Gluten Free magazine, do check it out if you haven’t already.  Honestly, there are some wonderful recipes.  Next one I am trying out will be the Butternut Squash Soup with Polenta Croutons and Honey Soaked Quinoa Salad with Grapes and Cashews. 

 My mom always said that the sign of a recipe book that has been used a lot is the amount of food stains on the pages and the worn edges of the paper.  Well, my BH&G magazine is looking used already.  And I plan on messing it up even more.





11 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love Asian salads and this one sounds wonderful Becky!

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

I'll have to try this. Like Penny, we love Asian salads too. My husband loves anything with a peanut sauce. Thanks for sharing this.

Brenda Pruitt said...

This sounds delicious! And easy to make.
Brenda

Kathleen Grace said...

Wow, this really sounds good! I can't wait to try it!

Elsie said...

Becky your salad looks good! Now I'm hungry, LOL.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your salad looks tasty and refreshing, Becky! I'll keep my eye out for the magazine because once the fresh summer produce is scarce around here, I'll be looking for new recipes. My daughter bought me a subscription to Gluten Free and More magazine and it contains lots of good tips and articles to read. Now if I could just get my hubby to cook before I get home from work.....

Thanks for sharing the yummy recipe!

Vickie

Simply Shelley said...

Looks and sounds yummy. I need to go to more trouble about fixing myself some good meals. I am so bad about just grabing something out of the fridge, or poping something into the microwave. Gotta do better for myself. The quilts you shared on your previous post are beautiful. Blessings Becky

Gayla said...

This sounds fantastic! I'm going to try to adapt it just a little and have it Paleo style for my son... Think swapping the peanuts for almonds and almond butter would still be good? I hope so... And I'll have to think of something like the moodles since he can't have soy... But I can! Lol. It looks fantastic.

Eve said...

This salad is perfection to me...MUST try!

Blondie's Journal said...

This looks outstanding, Becky, and very healthy. I'm not gluten free but I do eat clean and only fresh foods as much as I can. Yum...can't wait to try this.

I fell off your follower list so I'm really happy you stopped by. Thanks for your thoughts on changing up my blog a bit...I've got a lot of food for thought. We'll see!

Happy fall!

Jane xx

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Becky, this is one of my very favorite salads! It has been for years. I always have the dressing on hand. I it is one of the ways I can eat my veggies. :)