Monday, February 11, 2013

Sweet Hearts

P1010176h 
With Valentine’s Day coming up, I decided to dig into my stash o’ cotton Spreckels Sugar sacks that my sweet friend, Julia Terpstra, gave to me last November.  She found them at an estate sale and the woman’s mother used to work at the sugar plant in Manteca, California.  So I think that the hearts can be called “sweet hearts” after all.


The fabric on the old sacks are worn, wrinkled and super soft. Most of the graphics are missing, but the fabric is awesome!  Nothing like an aged patina on fabric. 


So here is my stack…well, part of it at least.  As you can ascertain, I have a lot of fabric to use.  For now, I made up three hearts and put them into Magpie.  They sold right away, so I suppose my sewing machine will remain on the kitchen table.  (I really need my own sewing room!)  All of my burlap pillows are gone as well so this week will be spent sewing and getting my paperwork ready for the “tax man.”


P1010062


Yummy stash awaits me for more projects!


P1010064 

For the hearts, I used scrabble tiles, old keys, bits from a cloth measuring tape, some crochet trim and scraps of fabric.  A twine loop allows for the heart to be displayed from a hook.  These are stuffed with poly-fill, however some fresh dried lavender would be nice, too.


P1010171i


I added some vintage keys that I bought from my friend, Bette, who sells next to me at Magpie. 
Meet “Yale” (he’s bashful)….


P1010175i 

….“Art”…


P1010127l
…and Sargent. 


P1010173h
P1010173h

Till next time, love and kiss those you love!

24 comments:

20 North Ora said...

These are darling. I bet that fabric is great to work with. I'm not the least surprised that your items are selling like crazy. You're good!!

Good to hear from you.

Judy

Patty Marker said...

Swoon! I adore these hearts. It is so good to have you back!

Linda said...

Those hearts are so cute...perfect for Valentine's...I'm sure they'll sell quickly. Have an awesome day!!

Low Tide High Style said...

Those are beautiful!!! I'm not surprised that they flew out of your shop. Sorry I've not be around...thinking of you, especially this time of year!

xo Kat

Vee said...

Delightful hearts...what a great stash of vintage fabric you have! Oh, you'd so love a sewing room to call your own...bet you could find a niche there somewhere.

Stacey said...

Those are sweet. :)

marie said...

These are so pretty Becky...that fabric looks so nice to work with. Have fun creating more!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh so pretty oh my word, wonderful!!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

WOW how lovely, well done~!

Brenda Pruitt said...

These are adorable! I've already pinned them.
Brenda

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your hearts are beautiful. I wish I had a stash like yours....what fun I'd have. Looks like some very pretty projects are coming soon.

hugs
Sissie

Jules said...

Oh my darling... they are darling! Sweet Hearts, indeed! I knew you would make something fabulous with them. I just {heart} it when I am right!
I just took down the old ladder that was above my french doors... if you want it for Magpie just let me know; it came from a salvage yard in Berkley. It would be so perfect for display or sale! (I paid $10.00 for it) XOXO (in capitals!!!!) jules

Kathleen Grace said...

These are adorable! No wonder you're selling out:>)

vintage grey said...

They are so beautiful!!! Love all the special touches! xo Heather

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Swoon!! So beautiful!!! Is Magpie open next Monday? I don't know that I will make it to the shop but just checking!

Sending you an email :)

xoxo

Life at Still Woods said...

I love the hearts. They are too cute! Happy Valentine's Day!

Donna said...

Beautiful! I love the details you added to each heart.
Glad you are back to blogging and all is well :)
Hugs,
Donna

craftyles said...

The hearts are just darling. I love the added keys and scrabble letters. The fabric is perfect for them. Happy Valentines to you!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the hearts!!

~Cindy

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the hearts!!

Meadowsweet Cottage said...

I think I'd like to make a Sargent heart of my own someday in honor of our sweet neighbors. They were still in love after a long life together. I miss them.

~pogonip

Mary said...

Becky, these are adorable.......not just for St. Valentine's Day but everyday.

It's so long since I've had time to sew pretties......I'm feeling inspired seeing yours.

Love for Feb. 14!
Mary

dogwood designs said...

very nice.

lilalee at fou fou lulu's said...

Made it into Magpie yesterday. Need to make a return visit soon. Only had 1/2 hour to browse...needed so much more time. Love your space! I spied something familiar...thanx for the compliment{ as I see using a bit of me in your new venture ;)}
Miss you, hope we run into each other sometime.