Thursday, February 28, 2013

Some Awesome Finds!

P1010217

It is nearing the end of the week and before I forget, let me share with you a few of the totally rockin’ awesomeness that I came upon last weekend.  Am I pleased?  Welllll, can I have an AMEN!?

Some of my two favorite finds is this antique French Demijohn bottle and basket, but pardon the dirt for now till I wipe it off for its photo op.

Next to the the basket is a wonderful primitive twine holder.  I am not sure if I will keep this or not, but I do like it. My motto is this:  if I buy something and decide to keep it, I have to trade it out for something I already have.  This little method helps to keep clutter down, but I also have to make money to pay those bills that come in each month.  And am I feeling the sting of our health benefits going up again this year.  They are more than our mortgage payment!  Geesh!

Ok…back to fun stuff.

P1010216

The Demijohn (the green bottle) is a hand blown bottle that is protected beautifully in the wicker basket.  The details of the basket are gorgeous!

P1010221 
The old railroad shipping tag is still intact on the handle.

P1010222


P1010223
The bottle is protected with a wicker collar (that slips over the neck) that has lamb’s wool stitched around the edge.  I have never seen one like this before.  After doing some research on the bottle, I believe that it dates from 1833 t0 1870.  It is definitely European, given the details in the bottle.  For more on Demijohns, you can read about them HERE.


P1010225


P1010238

The Demijohn has beautiful bubbles in the glass, which is indicative in the fact that it was hand blown.  The emerald green color of the glass is just beautiful.  The bottle would be lovely displayed on its own, HOWEVER, I would be afraid it would get broken in my house with all of the ball tossing that goes on with the dogs.


P1010226


P1010228

I love the study handle!  Quite thick and sturdy to carry a bottle filled with wine from the vineyard!  What vineyard you ask?  You know, the one in France!  :)


P1010237

This handsome piece will be going into the store, but I am still wondering if I should keep the twine.  I set it a few places to see if it will work in the laundry room.

Below, I leaned it on the edge of the shelf…

P1010211

….and then tried it out on top of the wire corner shelf.  Hmmm…I kind of like it on the long wood shelf better.  What do you think?


P1010212


P1010214
Besides, I like my vintage roller skate (from my friend Kathy) with the old trophy and six-inch rulers sitting on top of it.


P1010213

Decisions, decisions! 


Looks like another lovely day here, so I better boot-scoot along and get my tax papers in order.  My neck has a kink in it from having my head down all day yesterday working on the books.  If only I had a book-keeper!


Till next time, best wishes to y’all!  Hope you have blessings in your day! 

And prayers for those who are having difficult times in your life.  God knows our hearts, our needs, and His plan is His plan.  Just take each day as it comes and understand that there is nothing we can do to change the course that has been set in stone for us.  Make the most of life as it comes and love the ones you’re with. 



22 comments:

marie said...

Hi Becky,
I love your new finds...awesome indeed! I've never seen a bottle like that before and I enjoyed the info about it.
The twine holder is really nice...I agree, it looks best on the wooden shelf. I love the roller skate, etc on the other shelf...that shouldn't be disturned at all!

My favorite part of this post is definitely the final paragraph. It's said beautifully!

"His plan is His plan...". Amen to that!! Have a joy-filled day Becky!!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Becky,
Oh ya...great finds for sure!! love the Demijohn. I would keep it...oh yes I would.
Have a sweet day..Elizabeth XO

Unknown said...

Love the green bottle!! And your roller skate too!

chris

Elsie said...

Becky I love your awesome finds. I have never seen a bottle like that.
I would take a clean paint brush to clean it and I would keep it.:)
You have the best eye for vintage finds.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

AWESOME TREASURES!!

You did great finding those beauties!

Vintage Gal said...

Becky ~ Love the Demijohn. I love, love, love the twine holder. Hold on to that one ;-)

Blessed Serendipity said...

What a gorgeous bottle I would hope a keeper for sure. Love all your collectibles. You have everything displayed so nicely. Thank you for the reminder that it is really not our plan but God's. I have been praying hard on many things lately, and this brought a smile and some peace to my heart.

Danielle

20 North Ora said...

Becky - Interesting! Great finds. Hope all is well at your home!

Judy

NanaDiana said...

Those ARE awesome finds! Love the Demijohn-they are getting harder and harder to find. Your last paragraph is wonderful- xo Diana

dogwood designs said...

Fun Finds! Seems I have seen one of those twine holders before, maybe in our barn, maybe in my dad's barn????????

Denise said...

That green bottle is beautiful! What a find.... I love the picture of the raffia in the first picture. I keep a bunch around just in case! Sending you hugs.... I am looking out my window waiting for SPRING!

Meadowsweet Cottage said...

I design my decor around our dogs too, lol! Things have to be ball-proof, hide dog hair and survive enthusiastic tail wags to make the cut!

Luv that deep green!

Art and Sand said...

Love the color of the green bottle.

pogonip said...

I love that deep green bottle. And my decorating items have to pass the dog-proof test at our place too, lol!

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Becky,
What great finds. Your Demijohn bottle is amazing and so very old. Hopefully, it will fetch a fancy farthing to help with your medical insurance. Ours doubled...and, we are in shock. this year I am going to start an etsy shop to help out a little...even if it's just with groceries.
Thanks for sharing, my friend.
Blessings,
Carolynn xoxo

Jules said...

Oh my goodness, that demijohn is awesome, blossom. I have a reproduction that I like to pretend is the real deal. Perhaps I should incrust it with a bit of dirt? xoxo jules

KayteeJane said...

Just checking in after a few weeks and wanted to say that I love your blog. Your house is so beautiful and I love how you have all of your "little" things displayed. Love seeing your booths too - and the sewing projects. I have been inspired today!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the green bottle of course!! And I sooo needed to read that last paragraph!! Thank you so much for that:)
xoxo
D

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I would definitely have a hard time parting with either one of these. That Demijohn is huge and in such good shape. Beautiful treasures as always.

Kathy Sue said...

How exciting to find those treasures. Wow,that is just great. The skate looks good there to. Such a cute room to.. love to you

sweetbriardreams said...

Your Demijohn brings back memories from when my Grandparents used to go to Spain and bring back their wine packed in these. Such a great find. And the twine, how fun is that! I think it suits the wooden shelf too. To me they are both 'keepers'! Take care. Chel x

DownTheLaneWithDaisy said...

I love these things. I'd love to subscribe by email to the store's blog and Again can't find the spot. Help. I subscribed to this blog. Yaah.