Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Splendid Mush!


Definition of Mush:


any soft or soggy mass;
- Example: "he pounded it to a pulp"
[syn:
pulp, mush]


cornmeal boiled in water;
[syn: mush,
cornmeal mush]


writing or music that is excessively sweet and sentimental;
[syn:
treacle, mush, slop, glop]


OR.....THIS: a journey by dogsled; ....and the story goes like this:


Vangelders photo


I JUST HAD TO SHARE this amazing photo with you that belongs to blog authors Abigail and Josh of The Traveling Van Gelders (their blog.) They are an adorable couple (as you can see in the photo below) and the proud owner of little Pippi – their just-too-cute Scottish Terrier. (Correction: as most of you who have a Scottie know, we don’t “own” them – they “own” us. Just thought I’d add that one in.)


The funny thing about a Scottie is that they think they are a BIG dog – not a wee one – weighing in at best a good 22 pounds – or thereabouts. Forgetting, too, that their 4-inch legs don’t get them anywhere in split second time – but they don’t care – in their mind they are a big dog and can do anything a big dog can do – by leaps and bounds, too. So when I saw this picture of Pippi leading the pack here, I thought to myself, “Aye, a typical Scottie!” Tail and ears back, nose up and forward, trudging through the thick of the snow – onward! MUSH! MUSH! It is almost as if you could read Pippi’s mind: “I AM the bigger dog! I AM, I AM!” Like the story of Little Toot, the little tug boat that proved himself to the bigger boats by pulling a shipwrecked steam liner out at sea, reciting his mantra, “I think I can, I think I can!”


Mr. Pippi, you are awesome! You are also VERY cute in your beautiful tartan coat!!!!


Just goes to show that you can do anything in life by putting your mind to it. Believing in yourself – no matter how big or small you are – is what it is all about.



van gelders 1 and Pippi


Thank you, Josh, Abigail and Pippi Van Gelder, for allowing me to share YOU with all who come to visit my blog. Thank you, too, for the smiles! You are an amazing and beautiful family!!


xxoo and arrroooos!!!


You can read all about Josh, Abigail and Pippi by clicking HERE.

22 comments:

Whipped Up said...

My Buddy sure thought he owned the world and that it totally revolved around him. I miss him so much! Thanks for sharing and appreciating Scotties as much as I do!

Vintage Gal said...

What a sweet furbaby ~ My westie is the same ~ I am her pet ;-)

Pondside said...

Too cute!
Our Cairn, Rory (our third) thinks he's the boss of the house....the neighbourhood...the world!

Blondie's Journal said...

These dogs {and yours} are amazing and beautiful!

XO,
Janie

- said...

Thanks for sharing this photo and it would certainly make a superb Christmas card or print!!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Cute as a bug's ear I'm telling you!
Brenda

Molly the Airedale said...

Pippi is just too much! What an amazing little guy!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

marie said...

That's a great lesson Pippi shared with us today! Believe in yourself and put your mind to it!

Love the "mush" photo!

Elyse said...

what a great name pippi van gelder is! adorable.

i'm hosting a cabbages & roses giveaway ... come on over!

xo
elyse

FourSistersInACottage said...

OH BECKY I LOVE THAT PICTURE!!!!
How fun and looks like Iowa....
Thanks for sharing, Hugs...Amy

Denise said...

That is just a cute post.... what a fun family..... and what a dog sled they have going there....Oh I wish we had snow.........

Have a blessed Sunday

Simply Shelley said...

So sweet...I love these little(BIG) dogs :)....I am having a give away Becky....come enter if you would like...blessings on this Lord's day....Shelley

Miss Jean said...

Look at that expression on Pippi's face! He thinks you are being way too....mushy....with your compliments!! So cute. You are correct. Scotties are big dogs in a little dog's body.

Deborah said...

awwww so cute Becky!
Thanks for this joyful post..what a darling!
Love that winter jacket!!!

Deborah xoxoxox

Unknown said...

:)

That made me smile!

~Liz

Unknown said...

:)

That made me smile!

~Liz

Anonymous said...

So wonderful of you to talk about us, I have been following you for about 3 years now. Thank you

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Scotties are so cute! My husband's aunt used to have Scotties! So darn cute! Have a great day!

Mary

Shina Willson said...

wow ! great pictures!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your posts about dogs, complete with humorous pictures, always make me smile. AND, regarding the previous post, the silver acorn charms are beautiful! I can't believe your husband made them himself!!

Thimbleanna said...

Ohmygosh -- that picture is just tooooo cute! Thanks for the smile today Becky!

Elsie said...

Becky that is the cutest photo. It
does look just like they are mushing. One of my girlfriends just
got back from Colorado where she
mushed and loved every minute of it. Very cute post. Thanks for sharing.