Friday, January 23, 2015

Hearts


Group of three hearts made from cotton sugar sacks, old keys and trims.
Could Valentine’s Day be right around the corner?   It was JUST Christmas, for Heaven’s sake. 

When I was in elementary school, I was a hopeless romantic.  I had a few crushes on some boys in school, but I was super shy - and, might I add, a homely freckled face little girl that was usually taller than boys of my age.  I was always the "friend" that the boys would ask if a girl thought they were cute or if I thought they liked them.  Silly grade school stuff.  And it was those "friends" that were usually the ones that I thought were awesome - and a few of them were my secret crush. Heart broken when they weren't "interested" in me as a girlfriend, but rather just a friend.

Remember grade school Valentine’s?  The ones that we would fill out for each classmate and leave them in their handmade card receptacle.  I had a crush on a very cute boy in the 4th grade and was giddy in anticipation to see what kind of Valentine would be from him. Would it be one that read I think you are cute or special or I like you..or..or..or.

On Valentine's Day our teacher read us poetry and delighted us with homemade cupcakes with pink frosting on white cake.  On our desks were other special treats of heart shaped chocolates and heart cutout cookies.   Along one stretch of the south wall of the classroom, our handmade heart envelopes (with our name visible) were taped and ready to be filled. After we devoured the sweets, each student distributed their Valentine cards and ...and..and...  would he have picked me out the prettiest Valentine in the dime store box his mom bought for him?  My card to him was simply signed with my name..not love Becky..but "from Becky".  At the end of the school day, we removed our bevvy of Valentines and took them home.  I RAN home!  At home, I spilled the Valentines on my bed and read each one.  They were so cute and so sweet and..and..and..nothing from the boy that I had eyes for.   I saw him pass his out, but he didn't have any "Valentine Thoughts" for me.  My heart was broken. I didn't understand why.  There are things in life we will never understand or never really know an answer to.   And my crush ended there.




P1010056f1

 Over the years I have made a variety of hearts – to give as gifts and to sell.  I have a few on file in my computer and revisited those.  I am mulling over in my mind what kind of hearts to make this year.  The ones in the first picture were for last year and I sold most of them. 

P1010077b1
P1010081c1
~~~~~~~~

These little hearts God made.  I found them on the beach during a most difficult time in my life.  I like to think that God was sending me HIS LOVE and giving me something to smile about.  He fancies making us joyful.  We just have to pay attention and take notice.  

P1010014w1

P1010039sP1010190b
P1010185c

 ~~~~~~

The following photos of hearts were found on Pinterest.  If you click on the photo, you will be guided over to the source.  I think all of them are so pretty and all were handmade by some very talented ladies!  Such inspiration!


Sacre Coeur heart

Lella Boutique: My Funky Valentines

Pam Garrison

hearts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update on the remodel:  Earth to mother ship, the floors are IN!  HOWEVER, a third of the floors in the smaller room were scratched.  Yes, you read that right.  After the installers left, I was wiping them down with BONA and found the scratches. I simply could not believe it.   They came back to look at them.  I used blue painter's tape to mark all of them...over 30.  Needless to say, they will be removing the laminate and replacing it.  I cried.  The only thing the installer could think of was that there must have been something on his employee's knee pad, like a piece of metal. (Laminate is very, very difficult to scratch..so go figure.) They put in our other floors and did a perfect job.  I felt bad for him, but maybe they will learn from this.  I don't understand how this went unnoticed during the install?  One was over an inch long!  

  And while I was banned from my upstairs today, I got my fix today by catching up on my FAVORITE HGTV show, Fixer Upper.  I love those two!!! And I found a lamp on their website that I am thinking about purchasing for the guest bedroom.

Till next time....
hearts....

34 comments:

Pondside said...

I love all of the hearts Becky. The pink wool ones are particularly sweet. Your story of Fourth Grade Valentine's Day took me back a few years!

20 North Ora said...

Isn't it precious that our loved ones send us those " little signs" telling us they are still here beside us? Love your heart rock collection. Lots of pretty hearts.

Judy

20 North Ora said...

Love your rock heart collection reminding you that our Lord and Jordan are always right beside you. Love all of the pretty hearts.

Judy

Brenda Pruitt said...

I love all your heart designs! So colorful and cheerful. As well as the ladies you found. What's not to like about hearts? I didn't have much luck in the Valentines Day elementary school thing either.
Brenda

Stacey said...

Love the hearts!! I love them all but the felted ones look so soft and pretty.

Your floor will turn out great in the end. It seems like more often than not, people have to have the installers come back and fix something. Don't you think?

Fixer Upper just rocks!! Andrea of Opulent Cottage and I are going to drive to Magnolia soon. Waco is only about 100 miles from us. :)

Kathleen Grace said...

Your story brings back so many memories Becky. I was always the tallest girl in my class, I think you and I are both 5' 10"? Even with the occasional heartbreak those Valentine boxes are some of my sweetest memories. I think I loved decorating them as much as I liked the valentines inside :>) I sometimes wish we had a reason to decorate a Valentine box as adults!

Sinta Renee said...

I love Valentine's Day too. You can't be a true romantic without knowing the anguish of a broken heart! That's what those poems are written for, right?
Your heart collection is adorable. Note to self: make some sweet hearts for V day!
Thanks for the inspiration.
I am so sorry about the floor issue. Dang... why can't it all just go smoothly?

Sarah said...

Becky, I taught primary children, and Valentine's Day was without question the favored holiday at school. The children eagerly anticipated opening their valentines at the class party. They would run from desk to desk excitedly sharing what each valentine said, as if it had been specifically written for the individual. So cute! I also requested that they include a positive one sentence note for each friend. It was their assignment in the weeks before the party, so that they could choose to write a few each night.
I miss this special treat now that I'm retired.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love all your hearts Becky. Especially the stone ones...

I remember Valentine's Day at school and those cards. I had a crush on a boy that had red hair and freckles and his name was Ralph!

Debby said...

I love your hearts. Maybe your crush didn't sign his name. I bet you were sad.

Debby said...

I love your hearts. Maybe your crush didn't sign his name. I bet you were sad.

Kris said...

Well you have broken my heart too with your story of school days Valentine's!!!!! The hearts are darling.
And of course they knew the floors were scratched. They were just hoping you wouldn't! What a shame though!
I love that HGTV show too!!
XO Kris

Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh love heart rocks. We have a small collection but yours is amazing.

Unknown said...

Oh My, I guess there were a lot of us 'little girls' that were always just boys friends.
What a beautiful array of hearts. I resently found a small heart shaped rock with my 3yr/o grandson, he packed it around in the back of one of his trucks most of the day. I then brought it to me right before we headed in for dinner. I said, "Here Nonna you need this." He was so right. It sits in my bathroom window sill in a little dish, it is one of the first things I see every morning. <3 to all!!

Mary said...

Oh Becky, what a lovely touching post on your school Valentine days. I don't recall even celebrating this day in elementary school in England - perhaps it didn't become such a special day until later years!

Love all the Valentine hearts you share here - but yes, the pebbles are definitely the most thought provoking, and can understand how they have been a blessing to you in your time of great sadness.

Hey, I feel like getting out some scraps and sewing some hearts of my own, perhaps this sunless, grey weekend - so I'm off and away!

Warm hugs - Mary

Miss Jean said...

I love the pink wool hearts!!! One time, years ago, we had new linoleum put in our kitchen. The installer used a permanent sharpie marker to mark his cuts, etc., right on the linoleum. After he left and we found them all we could do was laugh and call the owner. When he came out he was not happy. We got a new floor and I don't think that installer had a job after that.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

There are so many adorable little hearts to inspire us, Becky! I especially love the ones embellished with yo-yos. I can still remember making the big envelopes that would hold our classmates Valentines to us- do you remember the paste applied with a popsicle stick? I hope you went to your high school reunion to show those boys what they missed!!

I'm so disappointed for you regarding your floor installation! I'm glad they're acknowledging their responsibility
to do right by you and I hope they come back to finish the job soon. I have the same kind of luck any time we pay to have something installed in our home. When our refrigerator was delivered, I couldn't be there, so I told my hubby not to let the delivery guys leave without checking for damage. When he called me at work to tell me there was a big dent in the side, I thought he was kidding. Nope!

I love your heart shaped rock collection. <3
Have a great weekend! (I hope to install some of the planking today.)
Vickie

marie said...

Grade school and Valentine's Day...such a mixture of memories that provokes! I wish I'd kept all those sweet little cards!

I have a couple of your pink wool hearts...they're hanging in my craft room, and they are a sweet reminder to pray for you! They're also very nice to look at!! The red and white gingham hearts are so sweet, and what a great way to use old Scrabble tiles! Love the way your mind works Becky!

You know, I have never found a heart shaped rock...I think I need to slow down and pay better attention! I'm so glad that He showed His love to you in such a tangible way, and I love the thought that "He fancies making us joyful"!

It always brightens my day to visit your sweet cottage.....

Elsie said...

Love all your hearts Becky. I remember the beautiful hearts you made and the heart stones you found. Nice collection.

Recycled Rita said...

I have a bowl full of stuffed hearts that my 84 year old mommy made last year, I love them! They are much simpler than yours but still so sweet! Are you going to sell your hearts this year? Were you the person who made those wonderful house pillows a few years back? I loved those and your hearts remind me of them...
Have a great week! karen...

Blondie's Journal said...

What a bittersweet story of a young heart broken. We really did take life so seriously then. Of course! And when we get hurt, we learn many lessons. And we learn the best way to move on. Your collection of hearts found on the beach are proof positive of this! :)

Jane xxxx

Imagery by Kimberly said...

love love love.... all that you shared here... from the most beautiful heart of them all:

YOURS.


i love you beckers,
kim

Happy@Home said...

That is such a sweet story about your elementary school crush. I think many of us might remember similar scenarios of high hopes being dashed at a young age.
It was such a pleasure to see the variety of hearts you have created through the years. They are each so unique and beautiful. Your talents are many!!
I think the hearts from God are an amazing example of his love for us. A very special addition to your lovely collection.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oooh, I love the hearts with the Scrabble tiles in your first picture. I love making hearts, too. I've used up some fabric scraps making them. I have moved onto bunnies though. Can you tell I'm looking forward to Spring? : )

Jocelyn said...

Love the hearts!! And so sorry about the floors! You will have the floors for a very long time, so they should be right. Enjoy them. I miss my hardwood floors from our old house :-(

Robin Johnson said...

I've got to be busy myself! I love making new hearts each year for my decor. I'm hoping to teach myself how to crochet a few before the big day!

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

The hearts you share here are so lovely, Becky. I especially like the felted wool ones. Your home is a beautiful cottage! Glad you found me so I can visit you, too.
(oh and I think we all have memories like yours that put a little crack in our hearts. One high school crush I had received a carnation I gave him as a secret admirer and just carelessly threw it into his locker! But those moments make us stronger.)

Seawashed said...

Your childhood story brought back such sweet memories. I was very shy too. I did not have a boyfriend until college. And then all your lovely hearts. Oh how beautiful they all are. I especially like the tattered lace ones in blush colors.

Now for your floors! There really is no excuse for that. Thank God they are replacing them but really how did they not notice. I would have cried too. If we ever choose to put in laminate my husband and son know how. I do not remember what kind you chose so I look forward to seeing it!

May your patience reward you with beauty
xo
Kerrie

Simply Shelley said...

When I was in the 4th grade I received a Valentines day card from a certain little boy, who decided to address it to "Fatso" needless to say my cubby little heart was broken indeed :( I've never forgotten it,but I think its time for me to forgive and move on ;) How very , very special are your God given Valentine heart rocks. He is such a good father. Love you sweet friend ♡

Susie Q said...

I love the ones you make Becky and those sweet GOD made ones are treasures.
I can relate to your school days story! I once chose a very special, bigger than usual, Valentine for a boy I had a huge crush on and put his into his box...he never mentioned it and never spoke to me after that. I was in 2nd grade and it broke my wee heart! Funny but many years later we were pretty good friends during HS and after telling him about it (he had no memory of it) he always gave me a lovely Valentine!
Wishing you ad yours a sweet Valentine's Day!
Love,
Sue

Lynn said...

Hello,
I love the hearts that you have made. I was blog surfing last weekend and came across a blog that had a picture of a heart on a straw, the heart had lots of ribbons on it and a vintage Valentine in the center that looked like it had been pop dotted to stand out farther on the heart. Were these yours? One of them had a black scotty dog vintage Valentine on it. Please let me know. I thought they were gorgeous and wanted to try my hand at making a few.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Lynn

GranthamLynn said...

I love all your hearts. I remember your posts. I have one rock that looks like a rock. I love fixer upper too. Aren't cute. They are near me. I will have to check out the website.
Enjoy making some new hearts. Can't wait to see them. I am making a heart quilt to give to my daughter and grandson. Have a good week.
Sherry and Daisy
Tell the doggies "hi"

Unknown said...

Hi Becky! I hope you and your hubby have a wonderful Valentine's day! I don't always comment, but I always love reading your stories and seeing what your working on. :)

I can't wait to see your new rooms. I'm sorry they messed the wood up.... I can't imagine that they didn't know that they were doing that???? Things that make you go hmmmm?????

~Liz

sweetbriardreams said...

I am in heaven Becky! I love hearts and have them all over the house. If I had more time I would be on the beach looking for some natural ones or at home making more. Gorgeous! xx