Monday, August 25, 2014

My Favorite Housekeeping Room


IMG_0418
I first shared about our farmhouse laundry room remodel back in October of 2012.  Has it been almost two years since we gutted that homely and dated room?  Time sure flies!   I will never regret doing so.  This is one of my favorite rooms – and I spend A LOT of time there.


Over the past few years I have edited some collections here.  Nothing over-the-top -  just a few small changes.  I have shopped my house, but also found a few new/old things to put up on the shelves.  I have  collections that are laundry AND farming related.


One of my favorite pieces that I found many years ago is an old white metal ladder.  Before adding it to the laundry room, I had it propped up in a bedroom.  Now it casually leans against a wall with creamy white antique linens that are simply draped over the ladder rungs.  Linens and laundry rooms just go together.  These linens are some of my favorite pieces and I especially love the chunky crochet edging.  Along with the linens, I’ve added two wonderful wooden sock stretchers, a French laundry hanger, a tiny pair of crochet child’s stockings and a single tattered leather glove.


The metal corner shelf holds part of my collection of white enamelware pitchers. 

IMG_0419
IMG_0421
Two reclaimed wood shelves are hung over the washer and dryer.  On top of the shelves are some of my favorite collections, some of which have a farming theme to them. Old crocks, scales and vessels filled with antique wooden rulers hang out with metal signage and some new/old findings…..
like this antique Dr. Franklin’s (Benjamin Franklin) child’s cup.  I LOVE the graphics and the simple “lessons” on it.  The writing along the top says:  “Handle your tools without mittens…the cat in gloves catches no mice.”    The little cup goes nicely with the antique print of farming women….

IMG_0424
…that I bought from my friends Andrea and Jenny.   I first saw this print at the antique shop that we sell at.  They had it hung up in their adorable space.  It was love at first sight!  What I like about it the most is how cute the ladies look after having spent a day in the field working.   I wonder what they are talking about.  And I must add, I have to wonder what the two chaps down the lane are discussing? 

IMG_0423
I found this postcard at a flea market and thought it fit right in with the farming theme.  On it is marked:
“Harvesting in California ‘82”. 
IMG_0422
To the right of the shelving I hung up a metal ironing board that I bought from my friend Karen.  I thought it would be perfect in the laundry room and I draped a French apron over it.

IMG_0416
Now I better run along and finish what waits for me inside the washer and dryer.  It is laundry day at my house….in my favorite “Housekeeping Room”.


Happy New Week!


(PS: Thank you to those who have emailed me asking if we were near the earthquake that happened yesterday in Napa, California.   We live 100 miles from Napa and did not feel the earthquake, however some towns near us could feel the tremors.  We pray for those who were victims to the earthquake…..)








17 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

You have so many pretty things from the past. And you know just how to display them!
Brenda

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

So glad to hear that the quake did not affect you!

I have a laundry closet in this house. What a wonderful space you have created for housekeeping.

Sinta Renee said...

I love it all... right down to the beadboard walls!

Stacey said...

Your laundry room is much spiffier than most. I love all of your gathered accents. You are so good at that!

June said...

I'm so glad to hear that you weren't bothered by the quake! I love that you love that picture of the ladies and that you too can get lost in a picture like I can. I always want to know the 'back story' per se :)
Your laundry room is lovely and I can imagine a pleasure to be in.
hugs...

Donna said...

Your laundry room is grand! Love all of those special touches.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Oh, how I'd love a nice bright laundry room like yours! Of course, I'd want the vintage accessories, too. What a wonderful space you've created, Becky!

I'm glad you weren't near the earthquake. I can't imagine how frightening it is to live through one.

Happy wash day!

Vickie

Prims By The Water said...

I would love to house keep in this room. Just lovely! Janice

Kris said...

Love that room!!!
Glad that you weren't close to the earthquake. My nephew lives in the city, and they sure felt it!!!
xo Kris

vivian said...

such a sweet little laundry room! As for the earthquake.. I must just live under a rock.. I didnt even know about it. Glad you werent effected by it. now I have to go google it.. maybe I should watch the news now and then..
have a great week
xoxo
vivian

Elsie said...

I'm so glad Becky you were not affected by the earthquake. I love your laundry room, I can see why you would want to stay in there. Sooo dern cute!!!

A Joyful Cottage said...

I'm a new follower, having found your blog at Anyone Can Quilt. Your blog is beautiful, and I love your writing style. I've spent quite a bit of time looking through your pages and posts. Your memorial to your son touched me deeply. God bless you and your family. xo ~ Nancy @ A Joyful Cottage

Simply Shelley said...

I have always liked that chippy corner shelf. Thank you for your prayers. All went well today. Blessings

Ginene Nagel said...

This is my favorite laundry room ever! Love the colors, the bead-board, the crazed china, the sepia print and my favorite thing...the mules in the field.That is fabulous.

Unknown said...

Love your laundry room! :)
~Liz

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

If I had a laundry room that looked like yours, I'd spend all my time there. Love all your beautiful vignettes.
We felt the earthquake here probably because we're a little closer.

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

I LOVE your laundry room Becky! It is bright & cheerful! The breadboard is awesome! xox