Friday, July 4, 2014

Collections and A Big Salute On The 4th!

IMG_3676

I didn’t manage to put out any 4th décor this year, except for some flags out front, so I thought I’d share a piece that lends itself in a sort of Patriotic way, if you will. One of my favorite things to collect are old clocks – the small vintage metal alarm clocks with awesome faces, worn chipped paint and interesting graphics.  This little one caught my eye as it has the word SALUTE on it.  It was made by the Ingraham clock company in the 1930’s.  Though I’ve sold many of my little clocks, I have kept my favorites and am always looking for more.   This one is propped up on a few of my antique Bibles, another collection I will have to share someday.


Below are a few of my Scottie collections.  Two boot scrapers sit in a primitive child’s wagon with funky unmatched wheels.  Though a bit odd, I thought the wagon would be cute to hold flowers – or, like now, the boot scrapers.  It looks as though the Scots are ready for a ride. 


Hanging on the wall is a sampler that I stitched years ago and framed it in a Victorian wood criss-cross frame.  The little barn house to the right of the wagon was a recent find from a friend’s sale.  It was a one of those purchases that was meant to be put out for sale in the store. Howwwwwevvvvvvverrrrrrr….. When I brought it home, I sat it on the green bench and thought it looked pretty cute there.  It looks similar to the house in the sampler, minus a few windows.  So there the primitive little handmade birdhouse – farmhouse whatchamacallit sits.  And there it shall sit until I tire of it.  Maybe never.  I collect old houses, too.  Another post, another day…..


Below the small green bench sits a Texaco “Look and Listen” Scottie doorstop and a cast metal Scottie figurine that was a gift from my friend Wave.  She also gave me the little blue lunch box with frolicking Scotties on it.  We both are owned by Scotties, so she always has her eye out for those vintage pieces featuring our favorite breed.


Lastly, below the large green bench rests a stack of my brown plaid metal picnic hampers.  I have a fondness for these pieces!  They are great for storage, too.



IMG_3517

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy 4th

Next post I will share the funky cabinet redo.





27 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

Scottie collections are pretty cool
Happy July 4th
Lily & Edward

deb said...

such beautiful collections! love all your little Scotties. wish it was easier to find black lab items ... always looking.
happy 4th ♥

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What is it about old clocks? This one is so special, so it's no wonder you want to keep it. Love your sweet vignette full of wonderful old treasures. I had to laugh when you wrote that you are owned by Scotties:-) Enjoy your holiday.

Unknown said...

Love to see your collections! Always food for thought for my decorating....

20 North Ora said...

Hi Becky - Hope you have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July. Ours is going to be spent staying inside where it is cool and having Mexican food for supper. I guess that's not too patriotic, is it? LOL We kept Laynee all day today so I imagine we'll be in bed early tonight if it is not too noisy.

Judy

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

The photos of your collections always make me smile, Becky. Old alarm clocks were my very first collection that I started almost 35 years ago, and every once in a while, I find another that strikes my fancy. I always love your Scottie dog collectibles and I thought of you when I picked up a small spice rack to look at with a Scottie head protruding from the top shelf. Too cute! I actually had to get up and walk down to our basement to see if the sampler I've got hanging in the play kitchen is the same as yours. Although mine isn't framed in a vintage frame like yours, it's close enough that I had to go look. I stitched mine in 1985! Yikes! I love your collection of old picnic tins tucked under your bench, too.

I can't wait to see the reveal of your old cupboard!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet collection. I think Scotties have enjoyed a longer popularity than any other dog. They are so darn charming. I like that this collection is displayed in a monochrome manner. It reminds me of the intense beauty of an late fall northern Wisconsin landscape. The colors are all natural and it isn't until one looks closer that they see the nuances and subtle shading differences. Very nice.

Pondside said...

I love your Scottie collection - so sweet!........the baskets too!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Becky,
Aw I love your hand made cross stitch sampler. Always a favorite of mine, everything hand made is special(you know)
We sure had the 4th of July noise show here. I thought Shiloh might be bothered by all the sounds, but it didn't phase him at all.
Sending hugs, Elizabeth

vivian said...

Love the clock and the old baskets! I always thought if I was to ever have a ton of money I would open an antique clock and lamp shop!
have a great day!
xoxo
vivian

Recycled Rita said...

I love it all! When I was a little girl I went to visit my cousin in Philadelphia and she had a Scottie and I fell in love! Now every time I see something with a Scottie on it , it makes me happy!
Happy Sunday! karen....

Kelly said...

I love all of your pretty collectibles! I like old clocks too.

tramway tootie said...

Hello Becky,
I have something I've been wanting to send you ever since your post about little Fiona. Could you email me your address?
inkerton@hotmail.com
I promise I'm not a nut job or anything! :)
Thank you,
Robin S.

marie said...

I love old clocks too...they're hard to come by around here. But I've found a couple to use on my husband's new bookcases. He likes them because they remind him of his grandfather's old alarm clocks! Love how yours is displayed with the old Bibles!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Your prims are wonderful! I especially liked your collection of Scotties. They were my mother's favorite dog and she always wanted one but never did get one.
I hope your 4th was pleasant. I didn't get all of mine out this year either so you are not alone on that. I never even opened the boxes.
I even asked what was wrong with me that I let the 4th slip by.
Love,
Mona

Mimi Sue said...

So happy to see you back! So sorry to hear about your precious Fiona. We've had to make similar decisions and it's never easy. Prayers are with you and your family. Mimi

Blondie's Journal said...

I have to get caught up on your posts and I wanted to thank you for stopping by! You do have the greatest collections and the Scotties are SO cute!! I love old clocks, too, but most of mine are reproductions! lol!

Happy Weekend!

Jane xx

GranthamLynn said...

Becky thank you for coming by and leaving me a word of encouragement! I was blessed!

Anonymous said...

Becky love all your neat collections. I tried to e-mail you but it came back. Did you get a new address? I lost everything on my other computer so now I have a new one I hate.
I was so sorry to read your sad news about Fiona. When you get time please e-mail me. reeree1949@bellsouth.net Oh and I love your old clock too.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always love coming over here and seeing your sweet Scottie dogs! Happy summer! Hugs, Diane

GranthamLynn said...

Thanks so much for coming by and leaving me a sweet comment! We have prayed many prayers for our daughter and grandson. Things are settling in for a new normal now. Praise God. Your sweet thoughts meant so much to me!
Hugs,
Sherry

Rita's Recipes said...

Visit often and now following your bog and on pinterest!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

LOVE, love, LOVE your style... You have inspired me to use a little bit'o red in my 'lil cottage... I'm gonna share that one of these days. It seems life has taken me away from Bloggyville for a LONG time...

Take care!

Spencer

Unknown said...

I have missed photo's of your charming home....glad to see this post !!!!!!!!!!!! Your home/you have always been an inspiration for me !

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

LOVE that clock! Sorry it took me so long to pop over and say "Merci" -- I am trying to get really back into blogging and it's a slow start!

Be sure to come and like my FB page if you haven't already. I appreciate your support.

https://www.facebook.com/AngelaParisienneFarmgirl

Warmly,
Angela,
Parisienne Farmgirl

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

Oops - looks like I might have posted to the wrong blog! So sorry if that's the case!

Prims By The Water said...

Love your sweet collections..especially those scotties and lil wagon. Just became your newest follower. Janice